Defending AMA Superbike Champion Mat Mladin locked in pole position for the Daytona 200 and set a new track during qualifying Thursday afternoon.
Riding a Yoshimura Suzuki GSXR750, Mladin turned a best lap at 1:48.424 in the first qualifying session, for odd-numbered machines, running a Dunlop qualifying tire. Anthony Gobert was fastest in the second session and second-fastest overall, at 1:48.663.
Top qualifying times follow:
1. Mat Mladin, Suzuki, 1:48.424
2. Anthony Gobert, Yamaha, 1:48.663
3. Nicky Hayden, Honda, 1:48.765
4. Aaron Yates, Suzuki, 1:49.139
5. Kurtis Roberts, Honda, 1:49.196
6. Tommy Hayden, Yamaha, 1:49.384
7. Miguel Duhamel, Honda, 1:49.485
8. Steve Rapp, Ducati, 1:49.708
9. Larry Pegram, Ducati, 1:50.006
10. Jamie Hacking, Suzuki, 1:50.148
11. Scott Russell, Ducati, 1:50.843
12. Doug Chandler, Kawasaki, 1:51.357
13. Aaron Slight, Ducati, 1:51.382
14. Eric Bostrom, Kawasaki, 1:51.425
15. Pascal Picotte, Harley-Davidson, 1:51.821
16. Lee Acree, Suzuki, 1:53.095
17. Mike Smith, Harley-Davidson, 1:53.145
18. Mike Ciccotto, Suzuki, 1:54.759
19. Brian Parriott, Suzuki, 1:55.108
20. Jordan Szoke, Harley-Davidson, 1:55.716
The top four grid positions–the entire front row–are locked in. Other grid positions can be improved in qualifying on Friday, although a possibility of rain is forecast for Friday.
Acree, Ciccotto and Parriott rode their 750cc Supersport bikes in Superbike qualifying, for practice.
Hal’s Performance Advantage Buell’s Mike Ciccotto led an onslaught from the Buell factory to capture the Pro Thunder pole position on his Metzeler-equipped V-Twin. Ciccotto’s 1:58.628 set the pace for the session, which saw three Buells qualify on the front row for Sunday’s 11-lap final event.
Second on the grid was Tilley Harley-Davidson/ Buell’s Tripp Nobles with a 1:58.706. Defending Pro Thunder Champion Jeff Nash was the lone Ducati 748 on the front row with the third-fastest time of 1:59.592 on his Advanced Motor Sports machine. Nobles’ teammate Dave Estok completed the front row on another Buell at 2:01.277.
Ciccotto, Nobles, and Estok were all riding bikes provided by the Buell factory.
Top Pro Thunder times follow:
1. Mike Ciccotto, Buell, 1:58.628
2. Tripp Nobles, Buell, 1:58.706
3. Jeff Nash, Ducati, 1:59.592
4. Dave Estok, Buell, 2:01.277
5. Tom Montano, Ducati, 2:01.742
6. Michael Barnes, Buell, 2:02.737
7. Dean Mizdal, Ducati, 2:02.820
8. Dario Marchetti, Ducati, 2:02.969
9. Paul Vitale, Ducati, 2:03.244
10. Dr. Dave Kieffer, Ducati, 2:03.779