The 2023 BMW R 1250 RS
- Update to BMW’s sport-touring boxer model.
- 136 hp @ 7,750 rpm and 105 ft-lbs @ 6,250 rpm.
- MSRP of $15,695 plus $695 Destination
- Expected U.S. market arrival – Spring 2023
Woodcliff Lake, NJ – November 10, 2022…For more than 40 years, the legendary BMW Motorrad abbreviation “RS” has been synonymous with BMW Boxer-powered sport touring, whether on windy country roads or on long-distance tours. The BMW RS is a master of sporty riding, leaning into turns as well as long distance riding for two with luggage. To ensure that this remains the case in the future, BMW Motorrad has given the R 1250 RS some new standard features and optional extras – to make the sports-touring Boxer not only a better value but more dynamic and more comfortable as well.
As before, the legendary 2-cylinder boxer engine provides powerful propulsion. It still has an engine capacity of 1,254 cc and, even in the current EU5 emissions version, generates 136 hp and 105 lb-ft of torque. Thanks to BMW ShiftCam technology for varying valve timing and valve lift on the intake side, it delivers power across the entire engine speed range, is extremely smooth and quiet running and features outstanding fuel economy and emissions.
The highlights of the 2023 BMW R 1250 RS:
- Unchanged MSRP from 2022 – $15,695.
- Air/liquid-cooled boxer engine with BMW ShiftCam technology (variable intake valve timing and valve stroke), updated for new ECO ride mode.
- Dynamic Traction Control (DTC) – Now standard.
- BMW Motorrad ABS Pro (part integral) – Now standard.
- Dynamic Brake Control (DBC) – Now standard.
- New LED turn indicators.
- Full LED headlamp.
- New solo seat with rear cover – optional.
- New Option 719 spoke wheels – optional.
- Three riding modes with New “ECO” mode for economical riding – standard.
- New standard Light White paint and optional Style Triple Black and Style Sport Light White / Racing Blue / Racing Red.
- TFT display with “Sport” Core Screen and connectivity – standard.
- On-board power socket and USB socket – standard.
- Seat heating for rider and passenger to make touring even more comfortable – optional.
Standard Dynamic Traction Control (DTC) and new standard “ECO” ride mode
Dynamic Traction Control DTC ensures a high level of riding safety due to excellent traction while the new standard “ECO” riding mode helps the rider to travel as fuel-efficiently as possible.
The new ECO riding mode joins RAIN and ROAD modes and allows the rider to use the innovative BMW Motorrad ShiftCam engine technology (updated for the new ECO mode, same as in the 2023 R 1250 R) to achieve maximum fuel economy and riding range. In ECO mode, the rider is encouraged to ride as fuel-efficiently as possible with a soft throttle map and moderate engine torque limitation. In ECO mode, the TFT color display provides an efficiency display in the upper part of the screen. If you want maximum performance – for example for overtaking or riding uphill – the ride mode button can be used to switch from ECO quickly and easily to a different ride mode.
The new R 1250 RS can be equipped with the Riding Modes Pro, part of the optional premium Package. Among other things, it provides additional, individually configurable riding modes. By using the riding mode preselection function, the rider can individually set riding modes on the riding mode button. The Engine Drag Torque Control (MSR), included with the Premium Package, is another new component of the Pro riding mode. It can be used to safely avoid unstable riding conditions that can occur during coasting or downshifting due to excessive brake slip at the rear wheel.
Standard BMW Integral ABS Pro (part integral) and Dynamic Brake Control (DBC)
As a popular sports tourer, the R 1250 RS features standard BMW Integral ABS Pro. This braking system offers even more safety while leaning in corners. Dynamic Brake Control (DBC) supports the rider during emergency braking maneuvers by avoiding unintentional throttle inputs. By means of intervention in the engine control, drive torque is reduced during braking so as to make full use of the braking power at the rear wheel. This keeps the motorcycle stable and shortens the braking distance.
Standard TFT color display with “Sport” Core Screen and redesigned LED indicators
As before, the 2023 R 1250 RS is equipped with a TFT color display featuring integrated arrow navigation and extensive connectivity. Excellent readability, excellent readability, clear menu navigation and a highly integrated operating system. The rider can choose between customized screen displays for various purposes. This also includes the “Sport” Core Screen, which provides real-time information about the current and maximum lean angle as well as control interventions – such as ABS Pro or DTC. New standard features also include redesigned LED turn signals.
USB socket, seat heating and tubular handlebars
The 2023 BMW R 1250 RS offers two different power sockets as standard. The previous 12-volt on-board power socket plus an additional USB-A socket with a 5-volt power supply. This most widely used type of USB socket with newly developed charging electronics allows you to charge a smartphone while riding by connecting a cable adapter. Up to 2,400 mA charging current is available.
An optional seat heating system for rider and passenger significantly increases comfort when temperatures are low. Heated seats are available in combination with two individual seats and are offered exclusively in combination with heated grips. A new, convenient operating system has been developed for the rider’s seat with five heating levels. The heated grips settings – in combination with the seat heating, feature five instead of two heating levels. The passenger seat heating has two heating levels and is operated by a toggle switch at the bottom right of the seat.
Tubular handlebars are now available as a new option as well as an original BMW Motorrad accessory. The tubular handlebars are slightly wider and higher than the standard handlebar and also less swept. This means that in addition to the various optional seats, the handlebar ergonomics of the R 1250 RS can now also be individually adapted to achieve an even more relaxed and upright seating position.
Sport touring in style: Colors and trim
The 2023 BMW R 1250 RS highlights its advanced sport touring capabilities with new standard Light White non-metallic paint in conjunction with a black frame. This replaces the previous model’s standard Black Storm Metallic paint. Two optional Style designs are available.
Light White non-metallic / Racing Blue metallic / Racing Red body finish, Light White non-metallic frame, gold front and rear brake calipers, blue front spoiler, and solo seat – or alternative passenger kit.
Style Triple Black
Black Storm metallic paint, Agate Grey frame, gold front and rear brake calipers, stainless steel engine spoiler, Pure tank trim and solo seat – or alternative passenger kit.
The new optional solo seat underlines the sporty style of the new R 1250 RS and makes it look particularly light and dynamic. The passenger seat is replaced with a painted plastic cover and the passenger footrests and grab handles are removed.
If you want to keep the R 1250 RS fully suitable for passenger use, the passenger kit is available as an alternative package within the Style variants. It contains all the components that are eliminated by the solo rear.
- 1,254 cc air/liquid-cooled 2-cylinder boxer engine
- BMW ShiftCam, updated for new ECO mode
- Anti-hopping clutch
- Shaft drive
- Steering stabilizer
- Adjustable windscreen
- Front upside-down 45mm fork
- Rear BMW Paralever, rear spring/shock with pre-load and rebound adjustment and travel-dependent damping (WAD)
- Riding modes with RAIN, ROAD, and ECO modes
- Dynamic Traction Control (DTC)
- BMW Motorrad Integral ABS Pro (part integral)
- Dynamic Brake Control (DBC)
- Hill Start Control
- LED headlight, taillight and Comfort turn signals
- Color TFT screen with “Sport” Core screen, connectivity, and on-board computer
- Rotary multi-controller
- Rider and passenger seats
- Adjustable hand-brake and clutch levers
- 12-volt accessory socket
- USB-A socket
- Electronic immobilizer
- Cast aluminum wheels
Optional Equipment and Packages
- Keyless Ride
- Design Option rear muffler
- Chrome-plated exhaust manifold
- Dynamic Engine Brake Control (MSR)
- Dynamic ESA suspension
- Gear Shift Assist Pro
- Ride Modes Pro
- Heated Grips
- TPM Tire Pressure Monitor
- Cruise Control
- GPS Prep
- Center Stand
- Saddlebag Mounts
Option 719 Billet Pack Classic
- Milled, silver-color anodized cylinder head covers, front engine cover and oil filler plug.
Option 719 Billet Pack Classic II
- Milled, silver-color anodized mirrors, expansion tank covers, adjustable rider footrests, footbrake lever, adjustable clutch, and brake levers.
Option 719 Billet Pack Storm
- Milled, silver-grey textured anodized cylinder head covers, front engine cover and oil filler plug.
Option 719 Billet Pack Storm II
- Milled, silver-grey textured anodized mirrors, expansion tank covers, adjustable rider footrests, footbrake lever, adjustable clutch, and brake levers.
Option 719 Billet Pack Shadow
- Milled, black-silver anodized cylinder head covers, front engine cover and oil filler plug.
Option 719 Billet Pack Shadow II
- Milled, black-silver anodized mirrors, expansion tank covers, adjustable rider footrests, footbrake lever, adjustable clutch, and brake levers.
- Sport Seat / Solo Seat / Low Seat
- Passenger Kit (rear seat and foot pegs)
- Seat Heating
- Option 719 Classic or Sport wheels
- Engine Spoiler
- Tubular Handlebars
|BMW R 1250 RS
|Liquid-cooled 2-cylinder, 4-stroke boxer engine with two overhead, spur-gear driven camshafts, counterbalance shaft
|Bore x stroke
|102.5 x 76.0
|136 @ 7,750 rpm
|105 @ 6,250 rpm
|Max. engine speed
|BMW ShiftCam variable intake camshaft control system
|Valves per cylinder
|Intake / Exhaust valve diameter
|40 / 34
|Throttle body diameter
|BMS-O, electronic fuel injection with ride-by-wire throttle
|Closed-loop 3-way catalytic converter, EU-5
|Three-phase 508 watts
|12 volts / 12 Amp-hours
|Full LED with daytime running light
|Hydraulically operated, anti-hopping wet clutch
|Constant-mesh, 6-speed with helical-cut gears
|Transmission gear ratios I
|Rear wheel drive type
|Frame construction type
|Two-section frame, main frame with bolt-on rear section and load-bearing engine
|45 mm upside-down telescopic fork
|Cast aluminum swingarm with BMW Paralever
WAD travel-dependent spring/shock, continuously adjustable spring preload by means of hand knob, adjustable rebound stages by hand knob,
Optional Dynamic ESA Next Generation
|Suspension travel front / rear
|5.5 / 5.5
|Steering head angle
|Twin 320 mm floating disks, 4-piston radial calipers
|Single 276 mm disk, 2-piston floating caliper
|BMW Motorrad Integral ABS Pro, disengageable
|BMW Motorrad DTC
|Wheels, front / rear
|3.5 x 17 / 5.5 x 17
|Tires, front / rear
|120/70 ZR17 / 180/55 ZR17
|Length x width
|86.7 x 36.4 (with mirrors)
|32.3 standard, 29.9 – 33.1 possible
|Permitted total weight
|Fuel tank capacity
|Acceleration, 0-62 mph
BMW Group In America
BMW of North America, LLC has been present in the United States since 1975. Rolls-Royce Motor Cars NA, LLC began distributing vehicles in 2003. The BMW Group in the United States has grown to include marketing, sales, and financial service organizations for the BMW brand of motor vehicles, including motorcycles, the MINI brand, and Rolls-Royce Motor Cars; Designworks, a strategic design consultancy based in California; a technology office in Silicon Valley, and various other operations throughout the country. BMW Manufacturing Co., LLC in South Carolina is the BMW Group global center of competence for BMW X models and manufactures the X3, X4, X5, X6 and X7 Sports Activity Vehicles. The BMW Group sales organization is represented in the U.S. through networks of 350 BMW passenger car and BMW Sports Activity Vehicle centers, 145 BMW motorcycle retailers, 105 MINI passenger car dealers, and 38 Rolls-Royce Motor Car dealers. BMW (US) Holding Corp., the BMW Group’s sales headquarters for North America, is located in Woodcliff Lake, New Jersey.