Buckeye SuperBike Weekend/GEICO Motorcycle AMA Pro Road Racing
AMA Pro Motorcycle-Superstore.com SuperSport
Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course
July 13, 2013
Provisional Race One Results (all on Dunlop tires):
1. Tomas Puerta (Yam YZF-R6), 17 laps
2. Hayden Gillim (Yam YZF-R6), -3.213 seconds
3. Miles Thornton (Yam YZF-R6), -5.690
4. Travis Wyman (Suz GSX-R600), -6.324
5. Nick McFadden (Suz GSX-R600), -20.096
6. Wyatt Farris (Yam YZF-R6), -24.204
7. Corey Alexander (Suz GSX-R600), -24.273
8. Conner Blevins (Kaw ZX-6R), -27.647
9. Kaleb De Keyrel (Yam YZF-R6), -51.465
10. Erick Sanchez (Yam YZF-R6), -51.641
11. Frank Babuska (Suz GSX-R600), -54.010
12. Devon McDonough (Yam YZF-R6), -54.455
13. Curtis Murray (Suz GSX-R600), -59.426
14. Brandon Cleland (Tri Daytona 675R), -63.112
15. Jeremy Simmons (Yam YZF-R6), -92.503
16. Daytona Anderson (Yam YZF-R6), -1 lap
17. Rick Lind (Yam YZF-R6), -1 lap, 15.654 seconds
18. Cody Wyman (Suz GSX-R600), -1 lap, 19.011
19. Brandon Schweitzer (Suz GSX-R600), -1 lap, 19.235
20. Felipe MacLean (Yam YZF-R6), -1 lap, 20.067
21. Ryan Haddock (Yam YZF-R6), -1 lap, 32.042
22. Patricia Fernandez (Yam YZF-R6), -1 lap, 48.400
23. Stefano Mesa (Yam YZF-R6), -2 laps, DNF, crash
24. Max Flinders (Yam YZF-R6), -16 laps, DNF, mechanical
Supersport East Championship Point Standings (after 7 of 10 races):
1. Alexander, 133 points
2. Mesa, 121
3. Gillim, 111
4. Thornton, 89
5. Travis Wyman, 84
6. Blevins, 66
7. TIE, McFadden/McDonough, 37
9. Mark Miller, Jr., 33
10. Kaleb De Keyrel, 26
More, from a press release issued by Motorcycle-Superstore.com:
Puerta captures Motorcycle-Superstore.com SuperSport victory at Mid-Ohio
LEXINGTON, Ohio (July 13) - After finishing on the wrong end of a couple of photo finishes in the Motorcycle-Superstore.com SuperSport class earlier this season, Tomas Puerta wasn't going to let anyone around his RoadRace Factory Yamaha on Saturday at the Buckeye SuperBike Weekend presented by Dunlop Tire at Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course.
"Some other races like Daytona and Barber I was thinking more about what the other riders were doing than what I was doing," Puerta said. "This time I just put my head down and ran my race instead of anticipating what might go wrong."
Puerta held off the competition to win the first race of this weekend's event. It's the second SuperSport win of the GEICO Motorcycle AMA Pro Road Racing Series season for Puerta. Hayden Gillim was second and Miles Thornton rounded out the podium.
"It was a tough race," Puerta said. "I knew that they were right behind me, so my focus was on running clean laps. The last four or five laps I was going hard. I wasn't worrying if I might crash; I wanted to get this win."
Gillim said his RM Racing Yamaha was weak during a crucial stretch of the course, which caused some concern as he was battling for position.
"I wasn't able to get a good drive off the backstretch, so I was losing time through there," Gillim said. "We're going to have to work on that for tomorrow. But as the race progressed I felt better and better. Tomas got ahead of our group, and we just weren't able to track him down. Once I got into second I tried to catch up to Tomas, but I mainly focused on keeping the other guys behind me."
Thornton said that after running consistent laps throughout most of the race on his [CTR Racing Yamaha], he had to make a mad dash at the end to claim his spot in the top three.
"I tried to keep a steady course for a while after the start," Thornton said. "This place is so tough to find places to pass. You either have to get a really good drive or outbrake them.
"I really had to push hard on that last lap to pass Travis Wyman to get on the podium."
Motorcycle-Superstore.com SuperSport riders will line up again at 10:15 a.m. EDT on Sunday morning for their final race of the Buckeye SuperBike Weekend.