MotoAmerica Supersport Race Two came to a controversial end Sunday at Barber Motorsports Park.
After clinching the 2019 Championship with a win in Race One on Saturday, Bobby Fong had a commanding five-second lead on lap 16 of 19 in Race Two when he crashed his M4 ECSTAR Suzuki GSX-R600 in Turn Seven.
The crash put dirt and debris on the course, which resulted in officials stopping the race with a red flag.
Officials also decided to call the race complete with scoring reverted back to lap 14.
Richie Escalante celebrated as the winner on the podium with runner-up PJ Jacobsen and Fong’s teammate Sean Dylan Kelly in third place.
After the podium celebration and post-race press conference, however, MotoAmerica officials declared Fong the winner of Race Two according to FIM rules.
According to the FIM rules that MotoAmerica races under, unsafe track conditions cause red flags, not riders who have crashed or had a mechanical problem.
And at the time of a red flag, all riders who are actively competing are included in the result.
When the red flag came out, Fong had already remounted his motorcycle and rode away from the crash scene to continue in the race.
The FIM Regulation covering this situation is 1.28 Finish Of A Race And Race Results.
This resulted in 2 Wheel Legal/Hudson Motorcycles Yamaha’s Escalante being scored in second and Celtic HSBK Racing Yamaha’s Jacobsen scored in third.
MotoAmerica never produced printed results showing Escalante as the winner of Race Two.
MotoAmerica Championship Of Alabama
MotoAmerica AMA/FIM North American Road Racing Series
Barber Motorsports Park
September 22, 2019
Supersport Race Two Results (All On Dunlop Tires):
- Bobby Fong (Suz GSX-R600), 15 laps, Total Race Time 20:27:149, 1:27.055
- Richie Escalante (Yam YZF-R6), -4.234 seconds, 1:27.217
- PJ Jacobsen (Yam YZF-R6), -5.713, 1:27.407
- Sean Dylan Kelly (Suz GSX-R600), -6.006, 1:27.397
- Nick McFadden (Yam YZF-R6), -21.162, 1:28.355
- Hayden Gillim (Yam YZF-R6), -21.620, 1:28.206
- Jason Aguilar (Yam YZF-R6), -22.698. 1:28.038
- Lucas Silva (Suz GSX-R600), -48.712, 1:29.841
- Nolan Lamkin (Yam YZF-R6), -51.402, 1:30.033
- Jaret Nassaney (Suz GSX-R600), -51.732, 1:29.923
- Christian Miranda (Yam YZF-R6), -53.443, 1:30.077
- Alejandro Thermiotis (Yam YZF-R6), -65.563, 1:30.946
- Chuck Ivey (Yam YZF-R6), -66.312, 1:31.122
- Andrew Lamoureux (Tri Daytona 675), -83.669, 1:32.064
- Bruno Silva (Suz GSX-R600), -83.993, 1:32.238
- Braeden Ortt (Yam YZF-R6), -1 lap, crash, 1:28.140
- Jeremy Simmons (Yam YZF-R6), -1 lap, 1:31.870
- Fernando Silva (Suz GSX-R600), -1 lap, 1:31.757
- Garrett O’Brien (Yam YZF-R6), -1 lap, 1:32.390
- Caleb Odom (Yam YZF-R6), -1 lap, crash, 1:30.674
- Cory Ventura (Yam YZF-R6), DNF, crash, 1:28.055
- Max Angles (Yam YZF-R6), DNF, crash, 1:29.692
- Bryce Prince (Yam YZF-R6), DNF, crash, 1:27.712
- Aaron Graham (Yam YZF-R6), DNF, 1:33.606
- Robert Pierce (Yam YZF-R6), DNS
- Tony Blackall (Yam YZF-R6), DNS
- Xavier Zayat (Yam YZF-R6), DNS
Championship Point Standings (after 17 of 17 races):
- Fong, 310 points
- Jacobsen, 275
- Gillim, 248
- Kelly, 215
- Escalante, 212
- Prince, 161
- McFadden, 142
- Aguilar, 127
- Josh Hayes, 116
- Ortt, 90
- : 09-22-2019 22:06:51
- : David Swarts