The 2023 BMW R 1250 R
- Update to BMW’s sporty boxer roadster
- 136 hp @ 7,750 rpm and 105 ft-lbs @ 6,250 rpm.
- MSRP of $14,995 plus $695 Destination
- Expected U.S. market arrival – Spring 2023
Woodcliff Lake, NJ – October 27, 2022…BMW Motorrad proudly introduces the updated 2023 BMW R 1250 R roadster. The naked boxer roadster has been a BMW success story since the very first BMW motorcycle was produced in 1923 – the 494 cc, 8.5 hp boxer-twin powered R 32.
The 2023 BMW R 1250 R continues the 100-year-old tradition of combining agility, performance and comfort in a package that is as suitable for twisty mountain roads, daily commuting, and even two-up tour.
The 1,254 cc 2-cylinder air/liquid-cooled boxer engine delivers 136 hp and 105 ft-lbs of torque and meets EU5 emissions regulations. Thanks to BMW ShiftCam technology, which varies intake valve timing and lift, the R 1250 R delivers outstanding power and torque across the entire rpm range with the added benefits of quiet and smooth operation and excellent fuel economy.
The highlights of the 2023 BMW R 1250 R:
- Unchanged MSRP from 2022 – $14,995.
- Air/liquid-cooled boxer engine with BMW ShiftCam technology for varying intake valve timing and valve stroke.
- Dynamic Traction Control (DTC) – Now standard.
- BMW Motorrad ABS Pro (part integral) – Now standard.
- Dynamic Brake Control (DBC) – Now standard.
- New LED turn indicators.
- New full LED headlamp with adaptive turning light – optional.
- New solo seat rear cover.
- New Option 719 spoke wheels – optional.
- Three riding modes with New “ECO” mode for economical riding – standard.
- New standard Ice Grey paint and optional Triple Black and Style Sport Racing Blue Metallic.
- TFT display with “Sport” Core Screen and connectivity – standard.
- On-board power socket and USB socket – standard.
- Seat heating for rider and passenger to make touring even more comfortable – optional.
Standard Dynamic Traction Control (DTC) and new “ECO” riding mode
The BMW R 1250 R’s standard Dynamic Traction Control delivers a high level of riding safety by providing optimum traction while the new standard “ECO” mode helps make riding as fuel-efficient as possible.
The ECO riding mode, joining RAIN and ROAD, allows the rider to make the most of BMW Motorrad ShiftCam engine technology to achieve the maximum range. In ECO mode, the rider is encouraged to ride as fuel-efficiently as possible with a soft throttle curve and moderate engine torque limitation. In ECO mode, the TFT color display additionally provides an efficiency display. If you want maximum performance – for example for overtaking or riding uphill – the ride mode button can be used to switch to a different mode quickly and easily.
Standard BMW Integral ABS Pro and Dynamic Brake Control (DBC)
The latest version of the R 1250 R features standard BMW Integral ABS Pro. This braking system offers even more safety when braking while leaning in turns. As the riding mode concept continues to expand, more new functions will be added. For example, the ABS control will be adapted further to the different riding modes. DBC increases safety when braking, even in difficult situations, by avoiding unintentional throttle activation. By means of intervention in the engine control, drive torque is reduced during braking so as to make full use of the braking power at the rear wheel. This keeps the motorcycle stable and shortens the braking distance.
Standard full LED headlight with optional adaptive turning light
The standard full LED headlamp already illuminates the road with an unrivalled bright, clear light. Enhanced safety when riding at night is ensured by the optional adaptive turning light. The rider benefits from better illumination into turns thereby ensuring even safer riding at night. The adaptive turning light works by switching on additional LED elements in the main headlight that are fitted with their own reflectors, depending on the lean angle. It is activated from an inclined position of 7° to 25° and a speed of more than 6 mph. New standard features also include redesigned LED Comfort turn.
TFT color display with “Sport” Core Screen
As before, the new R 1250 R is equipped with a TFT color display featuring integrated arrow navigation and extensive connectivity, excellent readability, clear menu navigation and a highly integrated operating system. The rider can choose between customized screen displays for various purposes. This also includes the “Sport” Core Screen, which provides real-time information about the current and maximum lean angle as well as control interventions – such as ABS Pro or DTC.
USB socket and seat heating for rider and passenger
The new BMW R 1250 R already offers two different standard sockets. The previous 12-volt on-board power socket plus an additional USB-A socket with a 5-volt power supply. This widely used type of USB socket with newly developed charging electronics allows you to charge a smartphone while riding by connecting a cable adapter. Up to 2,400 mA charging current is available, enabling fast charging depending on the type of smartphone used.
An optional seat heating system for both rider and passenger significantly increases comfort when temperatures are low. Heated seats are available in combination with heated grips. A new, convenient operating concept has been developed for the rider’s seat with five heating levels. The heated grips settings – in combination with the seat heating featuring five instead of two heating levels – are operated via a menu. The passenger seat heating has two heating levels and is operated by a toggle switch at the bottom right of the seat.
Colors and new solo seat rear cover
In standard trim, the new BMW R 1250 R is finished in Ice Grey non-metallic in conjunction with a black frame. With the optional Triple Black and Style Sport variants, the owner can choose from two expressive color combinations.
The new optional solo seat rear cover underlines the sporty style of the new R 1250 R. The passenger seat is replaced with a painted plastic cover and the passenger footrests and passenger handles are removed.
If you want to keep the R 1250 R fully suitable for passenger use, the Passenger Kit is available as an alternative option within the model variants. It contains all the components that are eliminated by the solo rear.
Style Sport variant:
Body color in Racing Blue Metallic, white frame, gold front/rear brake calipers, black sports handlebars, blue front spoiler, solo seat rear cover or passenger seat.
Triple Black variant:
Black Storm Metallic body color, Agate Grey frame, gold front/rear brake calipers, stainless steel radiator grille, stainless steel engine spoiler, Pure tank trim, solo seat rear cover or passenger seat.
- 1,254 cc air/liquid-cooled 2-cylinder boxer engine
- BMW ShiftCam
- Anti-hopping clutch
- Shaft drive
- Steering stabilizer
- BMW Motorrad Paralever front suspension with upside-down 45mm fork
- Rear spring/shock with pre-load and rebound adjustment and travel-dependent damping (WAD)
- Dynamic Traction Control (DTC)
- BMW Motorrad Integral ABS Pro (part integral)
- Dynamic Brake Control (DBC)
- Hill Start Control
- LED headlight, taillight and Comfort turn signals
- TFT screen with “Sport” Core screen, connectivity, and on-board computer
- Rotary multi-controller
- Rider and passenger seats
- Adjustable brake and clutch levers
- 12-volt accessory socket
- USB-A socket
- Electronic immobilizer
- Cast aluminum wheels
Optional Equipment and Packages
- Keyless Ride
- Design Option rear muffler
- Chrome-plated exhaust manifold
- Heated Grips
- TPM Tire Pressure Monitor
- Cruise Control
Option 719 Billet Pack Classic
- Milled, silver-color anodized cylinder head covers, front engine cover and oil filler plug.
Option 719 Billet Pack Storm
- Milled, silver-grey textured anodized cylinder head covers, front engine cover and oil filler plug.
Option 719 Billet Pack Shadow
- Milled, black-silver anodized cylinder head covers, front engine cover and oil filler plug.
Option 719 Billet Pack Classic II
- Milled, silver-color anodized mirrors, expansion tank covers, adjustable rider footrests, footbrake lever, adjustable clutch and brake levers.
Option 719 Billet Pack Storm II
- Milled, silver-grey textured anodized mirrors, expansion tank covers, adjustable rider footrests, footbrake lever, adjustable clutch and brake levers.
Option 719 Billet Pack Shadow II
- Milled, black-silver anodized mirrors, expansion tank covers, adjustable rider footrests, footbrake lever, adjustable clutch and brake levers.
- Seat Heating
- Adaptive Turning Headlight
- Gear Shift Assist Pro
- Sport handlebars
- Sport windshield
- Engine spoiler
- Single seat
- Sport seat
- Low seat
- Comfort passenger seat
- Option 719 Classic wheels
- Option 719 Sport wheels
- Center stand
|BMW R 1250 R
|Liquid-cooled 2-cylinder, 4-stroke boxer engine with two overhead, spur-gear driven camshafts, counterbalance shaft
|Bore x stroke
|102.5 x 76.0
|136 @ 7,750 rpm
|105 @ 6,250 rpm
|Max. engine speed
|BMW ShiftCam variable intake camshaft control system
|Valves per cylinder
|Intake / Exhaust valve diameter
|40 / 34
|Throttle body diameter
|BMS-O, electronic fuel injection with ride-by-wire throttle
|Closed-loop 3-way catalytic converter, EU-5
|Three-phase 508 watts
|Volta / Ah
|12 volts / 12 Amp-hours
|Full LED with daytime running light
|Hydraulically operated, anti-hopping wet clutch
|Constant-mesh, 6-speed with helical-cut gears
|Transmission gear ratios I
|Rear wheel drive type
|Frame construction type
|Two-section frame, main frame with bolt-on rear section and load-bearing engine
|45 mm upside-down telescopic fork
|Cast aluminum swingarm with BMW Paralever
WAD travel-dependent spring/shock, continuously adjustable spring preload by means of hand knob, adjustable rebound stages by hand knob,
Optional Dynamic ESA Next Generation
|Suspension travel front / rear
|5.5 / 5.5
|Steering head angle
|Twin 320 mm floating disks, 4-piston radial calipers
|Single 276 mm disk, 2-piston floating caliper
|BMW Motorrad Integral ABS Pro
|Wheels, front / rear
|3.5 x 17 / 5.5 x 17
|Tires, front / rear
|120/70 ZR17 / 180/55 ZR17
|Length x width
|85.2 x 34.6 (with mirrors)
|32.3 standard, 29.9 – 33.1 possible
|Permitted total weight
|Fuel tank capacity
|Acceleration, 0-62 mph
BMW Group In America
BMW of North America, LLC has been present in the United States since 1975. Rolls-Royce Motor Cars NA, LLC began distributing vehicles in 2003. The BMW Group in the United States has grown to include marketing, sales, and financial service organizations for the BMW brand of motor vehicles, including motorcycles, the MINI brand, and Rolls-Royce Motor Cars; Designworks, a strategic design consultancy based in California; a technology office in Silicon Valley, and various other operations throughout the country. BMW Manufacturing Co., LLC in South Carolina is the BMW Group global center of competence for BMW X models and manufactures the X3, X4, X5, X6 and X7 Sports Activity Vehicles. The BMW Group sales organization is represented in the U.S. through networks of 350 BMW passenger car and BMW Sports Activity Vehicle centers, 145 BMW motorcycle retailers, 105 MINI passenger car dealers, and 38 Rolls-Royce Motor Car dealers. BMW (US) Holding Corp., the BMW Group’s sales headquarters for North America, is located in Woodcliff Lake, New Jersey.