Digital Edition Subscribers: Read Roadracing World Magazine Now >
Roadracing - An Online Service of Roadracing World Magazine
Aug 16, 2001

Updated Post With The Latest On Injured Racer/Tuner Kevin Murray

Well-known two-stroke racer and tuner Kevin Murray was seriously injured Sunday in a dirt-riding crash, but it's too early for his customers to panic.<BR><BR>According to Murray's friend Al Brown, 43-year-old Murray was been moved out of intensive care as of Thursday morning. "He's doing good," said Brown in a telephone call to Roadracing World. "He came out of the coma, started opening his eyes, last night (Wednesday). He started talking today."<BR><BR>According to hospital spokesperson Janet Landy, Murray is listed in "Good Condition" and has been transferred to the Neuro-Care unit of Scripps Memorial Hospital. Murray was originally admitted with a left frontal contusion, or bruise, on his head, on Sunday, August 12.<BR><BR>Those wishing to send cards, flowers, or well wishes to Murray can address them to Kevin Murray–Patient 4West, c/o Scripps Memorial Hospital La Jolla, 9888 Genese Ave., La Jolla, CA 92037 or send a FAX to (760) 599-1081.<BR><BR>In the meantime, Brown is helping take care of basic business at Murray's MCE Racing shop, such as returning some phone messages and accepting UPS shipments until the two-stroke specialist can get back on his feet.<BR><BR>Here's what we know about what happened to Murray, as told by his friend and customer Steve Bowline:<BR><BR>"Kevin was riding on his own in Borrego Springs (in the Southern California desert) when he came across a few guys. They rode for awhile, but Kevin told them he had go back to the shop, and took off by himself. When the other riders got back to the car park they noticed that Kevin's van was still there. They were concerned since Kevin had left them quite a while before. They notified a park ranger.<BR><BR>"The park ranger searched for Kevin and found him lying next to his bike in the middle of the desert. There was no immediate sign of a bad crash. Kevin was unconscious and non-responsive."