Digital Edition Subscribers: Read Roadracing World Magazine Now >
Roadracing - An Online Service of Roadracing World Magazine
Jun 4, 2014

Supersport TT And Zero TT Race Results From The Isle Of Man

The start of Supersport TT Race Two at the Isle of Man TT. Photo courtesy of Isle of Man TT Press Office.

Isle of Man TT

Isle of Man, UK

June 4, 2014

Supersport TT Race Two Results:

1. Michael Dunlop (Hon CBR600RR), 4 laps, 1:12:23.794, 125.078 mph

2. Bruce Anstey (Hon CBR600RR), 1:12:33.883, 124.788 mph

3. William Dunlop (Suz GSX-R1000), 1:12:47.678, 124.394 mph

4. Dean Harrison (Yam YZF-R6), 1:13:03.459, 123.946 mph

5. James Hillier (Kaw ZX-6R), 1:13:37.712, 122.985 mph

6. Keith Amor (Hon CBR600RR), 1:13:49.580, 122.655 mph

7. Ivan Lintin (Hon CBR600RR), 1:13:59.555, 122.380 mph

8. Dan Kneen (Hon CBR600RR), 1:14:09.289, 122.112 mph

9. Dan Stewart (Hon CBR600RR), 1:14:11.141, 122.061 mph

10. Guy Martin (Suz GSX-R600), 1:14:30.161, 121.542 mph

17. Mark Miller (Yam YZF-R6), 1:16:01.445, 119.110 mph

TT Zero Challenge Race Results:

1. John McGuinness (Shinden San/Team Mugen), 1 lap, 19:17.300, 117.366 mph

2. Bruce Anstey (Shinden San/Team Mugen), 19:40.625, 115.048 mph

3. Robert Barber (Buckeye Current RW-2.x/The Ohio State), 24:12.230, 93.531 mph

4. Robert Wilson (Sarolea/Team Sarolea Racing), 24:12.600, 93.507 mph

5. Mark Miller (VercarMoto/VercarMoto), 26:22.562, 85.828 mph

6. Timothee Monot (TT Zero), 29:02.378, 77.956 mph

More, from a press release issued by Isle of Man TT Press Office:


John McGuinness won his 21st TT race on Wednesday morning when he took the SES TT Zero race in record-breaking style. Riding the Mugen Shinden, McGuinness was always in the lead and with a stunning new lap record of 117.366mph, he came home 23.3s clear of team-mate Bruce Anstey. Rob Barber, on the Ohio State University Buckeye machine, took third.

With dry conditions all round the course, despite dark clouds looming overhead, McGuinness, number one on the road, swept through Glen Helen 4.9s clear of Anstey with Robert Wilson over a minute adrift in third. His advantage over Barber was only slight though at just 7.5s. University teams Paul Owen (Brunel Racing) and George Spence (Kingston University) were early reported retirements.

Through Ballaugh McGuinness had almost doubled his lead and went through the Sulby speed trap at 154.3mph with four seconds now the difference between Wilson and Barber in third and fourth although it was the latter who held the final podium position.

McGuinness was clearly in control, increasing his lead at every timing point, and by Ramsey Hairpin it was up to 11.8s and unless Anstey was operating a different strategy and planning on a quicker run up and down the Mountain, the win was seemingly his. Barber was still in third now some 2m45s behind.

McGuinness added another seven seconds to his lead at the Bungalow and as he swept along Glencrutchery road, he completed the lap at a brilliant 117.366mph (19:17.300), the first official lap under 20 minutes for an electric bike around the mountain course, shattering Michael Rutter's lap record of 20:38.461 (109.675mph) set in last year's race by over a minute.

When Anstey, who had started 30 seconds later, crossed the line, the official gap was 23.3s with the Kiwi also well inside the old lap record with a speed of 115.048mph.

The battle for third went all the way to the end and it was Barber, the 2009 race winner, who prevailed by the tiny margin of 0.370s with Wilson obviously disappointed to have missed out. Mark Miller was the only other finisher in fifth with Russ Mountford (Arc-EV3/ARC EV Engineering) and Timothee Monot also being forced to retire.

More, from another press release issued by Isle of Man TT Press Office:


Michael Dunlop joined legendary names Giacomo Agostini, Stanley Woods, Rob Fisher and Ian Lougher on 10 wins when he led the second Monster Energy Supersport TT race from start to finish. Riding his own MD Racing Honda, Dunlop gradually reeled in Bruce Anstey, who started ten seconds in front of him on the road, and the pair circulated together for the second half of the race, the gap at the end 10.089s as the Kiwi, in a display of sportsmanchip, let Michael take the chequered flag first. William Dunlop took third on the Tyco Suzuki.

The trend for the 4-lap was set from the off with the two Dunlop brothers and Anstey spilt by just a second at Glen Helen with Dean Harrison only a tenth of a second back in fourth. The early sensation of the race was privateer Ivan Lintin in fifth. Two early contenders were reported as retired on the opening lap - Ian Hutchinson at Glen Darragh Road and Conor Cummins at the Highlander.

Michael was able to eke out a slight lead by Ramsey, the gap to Anstey clocked as two seconds as William slipped back to third albeit only half a second adrift of the Valvoline Racing/Padgetts Honda. Harrison was a further two seconds back with Lintin maintaining his fifth place ahead of Australian Josh Brookes and Northern Ireland racer Lee Johnston.

An opening lap of 126.256mph gave Dunlop a lead of 4.5s over Anstey with the top four remaining the same. Brookes overhauled Lintin with Guy Martin, Keith Amor, James Hillier and Russ Mountford, another privateer having a great ride, in tenth. Michael Rutter was an early visitor to the pits though as he made adjustments to the Smiths Triumph.

Dunlop had the magnets on Anstey and he was getting closer and closer to his back wheel, the gap at Glen Helen on corrected time second time around 6.9s and by Ramsey, he was with him. With his lead up to nine seconds, he could now afford to sit with Anstey for the remainder of the race.

The 25-year old completed the second lap at 127.403mph, the fastest lap of the race, with the official margin to Bruce 9.36s. William Dunlop was six seconds back in third but was looking more secure in the position as Harrison was now also six seconds behind. Brookes and Lintin continued to hold station in fifth and sixth.

There was little change over the remaining two laps as the leading contenders were all secure in their positions but there was drama on the final lap when Brookes and Lee Johnston, holding onto fifth and seventh respectively at Ramsey on the final lap, went out after an incident at Creg ny Baa, fortunately both escaping injury.

At the head of the field though, there were no such problems and with Anstey showing great sportsmanship in allowing Dunlop to cross the line first, he took his third win of the week, and tenth in total, ahead of Anstey and brother William.

Harrison took another good fourth place finish with James Hillier enjoying a better race in fifth, eleven seconds clear of Keith Amor who made steady progression up the leaderboard throughout the race.

Lintin took seventh, and was comfortably the first privateer home, with Dan Kneen, Dan Stewart and Guy Martin filling the remaining top ten positions.

The results mean Michael Dunlop is now a clear leader in the Joey Dunlop TT Championship on 91 points followed by Anstey (69) and Harrison (54). Anstey needs to win Friday's Senior to have any chance of overhauling Dunlop. Lintin’s second maximum haul of points has seen edge closer to the TT Privateer’s Championship as he’s moved on to a total of 81 points – only second placed Russ Mountford (64) can now overhaul him.

More, from a press release issued by GB Racing:

Fourth TT victory for GBRacing

MICHAEL DUNLOP'S 10th TT win in today's second Supersport race aboard a Honda CBR600RR has given GBRacing another top step on the 2014 podium, keeping hopes of a full house on the cards.

Bruce Anstey in second place on a Honda and William Dunlop in third on a Suzuki GSX-R600 both use GBRacing engine protection as well, giving GBRacing another clean sweep of the podium.

GBRacing's Graham Banks said: "A superbly controlled race by Michael Dunlop, it is great to see him taking his 10th TT win. Once again we are proud of all the riders on the podium and delighted we can help them to success with GBRacing engine case covers."

Featuring engine, generator and pulse case covers, as well as paddock bobbins, wheel spindles, bullet sliders and lower chain guards, GBRacing protection is made from super-tough purpose-engineered nylon to offer maximum protection in the event of a crash.

The material is specially designed to cope with high impacts and to protect the engine in an accident. The covers are bolt on so can be fitted in minutes and are both oil and scratch resistant so they keep their appearance-enhancing looks.

Computer designed and manufactured in the UK, GBRacing protection is both FIM and MCRCB approved for racing and is the acknowledged leader in crash protection in all the major race paddocks from MotoGP, through WSB, BSB, the Isle of Man TT and Club level at Thundersport GB.

GBRacing's engine case cover sets cost around £150-£170. Protection is available for a wide range of bikes from Yamaha, Honda, Suzuki, Triumph, Ducati, BMW, KTM and more.

For more information, to find a local retailer or to purchase then visit

More, from a press release issued by Mar-Train Racing:


Bradford’s Dean Harrison rounded out a superb Isle of Man TT debut for Mar-Train Racing by taking fourth place in today’s Monster Energy Supersport Race 2 for the Northern Ireland based team.

The result replicated his strong performance from Monday’s Supersport Race 1, where the affable Yorkshire lad again brought the Mar-Train Racing R6 Yamaha home in fourth position at the Isle of Man TT. The aforementioned results adds a pair of coveted Silver Replicas to the talented 25-year-old's growing collection.

The ever-smiling Harrison said afterwards: “What a week we’ve had here with the Mar-Train Racing Yamaha after such a disappointing North West 200. The boys have done a great job and although I would have loved a podium today for Tim and the whole team, I think two fourth placed finishes for them this week is a good place to kick start a TT career. I love riding the Mar-Train Yamaha and will look forward now to the remaining races this year at Scarborough, the Southern and the Ulster Grand Prix.”

Team Principal Tim Martin added: “I'm absolutely delighted for Dean and the whole team. Yes we would have loved to have taken our first TT podium today, but we have no complaints. To come here and bring home two fourth placed finishes in our first year of competition, is more than we expected. It shows the strength of the package we have at Mar-Train Racing and although Boost and Cliffy did a great job, it's been a big team effort and full credit must go to everyone who is involved with Mar-Train Racing."

Monster Energy Supersport Race 2 Results:

Winner: Michael Dunlop [Honda] 1:12:23.794sec; 2nd – Bruce Anstey [Honda] 1:12:33.883sec; 3rd – William Dunlop [Suzuki] 1:12:47.678sec; 4th – Dean Harrison [Mar-Train Yamaha] 1:13:03.459sec; 5th – James Hillier [Kawasaki] 1:13:37.712sec; 6th – Keith Amor [Honda] 1:13.49.580sec.

Friday 6th June

10:15 hrs Lightweight TT Race 3 laps

13:00 hrs Senior TT Race 6 laps

More, from a press release issued by John McGuinness' publicist:

McGuinness takes 21st TT win in record-breaking style

Morecambe’s John McGuinness took his 21st victory at the Isle of Man TT Races on Wednesday morning when he won the TT Zero race in record breaking style. Riding the Mugen Shinden in the race specifically for electric-powered machines, John led from start to finish in the one lap race and set a stunning new lap record of 117.366mph.

Despite a low number of entries, the race was expected to see John go head to head with team-mate Bruce Anstey but as early as Glen Helen, nine miles into the lap, John was edging away from the Kiwi with his lead already 4.9s. Indeed, at every single timing point he increased his advantage and eventually took his 21st win – and 42nd podium – by a commanding 23.3s, his new lap record a staggering one minute and 21 seconds inside the old mark.

On Tuesday afternoon, John was out in action in the 4-lap Superstock race where he was riding the Valvoline Racing/Padgetts Honda and a solid start to the race saw him slot into 13th place after an opening lap of 125.202mph. A quicker lap second time around enabled him to move up a place and with a good pit stop and third lap, he moved up inside the top ten for the first time. A final lap of 125.065mph meant he held onto tenth place but with fifth place finisher Conor Cummins being penalised two minutes, John was promoted up to ninth spot.

Speaking later, a philosophical John said: “The big bike took a lot out of me on Tuesday, more than I thought, and so I opted out of Wednesday afternoon’s Supersport race in order to give myself a chance of making Friday’s Senior. The Zero bike takes a lot less out of me as I’m not having to wrestle it around so much but I wasn’t hanging around and I was probably going through the corners 10-15mph quicker than what I was taking them on the Superbike! The bike was phenomenal and although it’s a shame there wasn’t more bikes out there, I gave it a real good go.”

“It’s so, so enjoyable to be able to ride the bike and be part of a project being driven by such clever people. I missed out on the win last year so it’s great to be have been able to take the win this year and when you consider we’ve lapped at 102, 109 and now 117mph in the last three years, the progress has been unbelievable.”

“I’ve obviously been having a tough time this week but I’ve kept plugging away and it’s meant a lot to me to have the fans stick by me so much. I’ve been feeling under the weather but I put my heart and soul into my racing and am just pleased to have taken the win today.”

John’s final race is scheduled to be the 6-lap Senior on Friday where he’ll be back out on the Honda Racing Fireblade.

More, from a press release issued by Dan Cooper Racing:

Mixed Fortunes For Cooper In Superstock And Supersport TT

Dan Cooper endured a mixed two days of racing at the Isle of Man TT Races when a strong result in yesterday's four lap RL 360 Superstock race was tempered by a disappointing retirement in today's Monster Supersport encounter.

The delayed RL 360 Superstock race finally got underway at 1.45pm yesterday afternoon and with a solid opening lap of 122.820mph, the Stroud-based rider had moved up to 22nd and with a 123mph plus lap second time around, he maintained station as he made his solitary pit stop. A good stop saw him move up inside the top twenty on the penultimate lap and with his fastest lap of the race on the fourth and final lap recorded at 124.169mph, he was able to complete the race in 19th place aboard the 1000cc Tsingtao WK HMQ Kawasaki for his first silver replica of the week.

Today saw him back in action around the Mountain Course, this time on the 600cc Tsingtao WK HMQ Kawasaki, for the second Monster Supersport race and an opening lap of 121.275mph allowed him to move up to 20th place. Going quicker second time around at 121.575mph he was up to 17th and making good progress up the leaderboard but it all came to an end at Kerrowmoar on the third lap when an engine problem saw him coast to a halt.

Speaking after today's race Dan said: "I had a bit of traffic to get through in the first two laps of the Superstock race and it took me a while to get going and with a couple of yellow flags, I never really got a clear lap. I pressed on though and although I managed to knock my transponder off on the third lap, meaning the team wasn't sure where I was on the track or what position I was in, I was pleased with my final lap and also to notch up a good top twenty finish and pick up my first silver replica of the week.

"I was really looking forward to the Supersport race today but right from the off the bike felt slow and, to be honest, I'm surprised my first two laps were over 121mph. I was really struggling for speed but had begun to make good progress when the bike stopped just after Ginger Hall and it looks like it's dropped a valve. It's a real shame as with the way things panned out, I could have been on for a top 15 finish but you really need a quick bike in the 600cc class to have any chance of a top ten finish. With a bit of luck, we'll get some good practice under our belts tomorrow and finish with two good rides on Friday."

Dan's final two races come on Friday with the three lap Lightweight and six lap Senior race.

2014 Isle of Man TT Races fuelled by Monster Energy

Friday 6th June
10:15 hrs Lightweight TT Race 3 laps
13:00 hrs Senior TT Race 6 laps

More, from a press release issued by Smiths Triumph Racing:

Supersport TT Disappointment For Rutter And Smiths Triumph

Fresh from their stunning victory in Monday's opening Monster Supersport TT race, the Gloucester based Smiths Triumph Racing Team experienced disappointment at the Isle of Man TT races today when Michael Rutter was forced to retire from the second four lap Monster Supersport TT encounter.

With Monday's race winner Gary Johnson a non-starter after suffering a broken collarbone and other minor injuries in yesterday's Superstock race, just Michael Rutter lined up at the start for the former British Supersport champions and with some changes made to the set up of the Smiths Triumph Daytona 675R, the Bridgnorth rider was hopeful of an improvement on his ninth place of two days ago.

A solid start to the race saw the 42-year old on the fringes of the top ten but he was being hindered by a misfire and despite an opening lap of 122.542mph, he had to make an unscheduled pit stop to try and remedy the situation. After a stop of almost six minutes, he was on his way again although the loss of time obviously dropped him down the order.

Running in 68th and last place, Rutter managed to claw a few places back but the misfire continued and after stopping at Ramsey Hairpin on the third lap to try and make further adjustments, he was ultimately forced to retire just a few miles later at Windy Corner.

Michael Rutter: "After the handling issues on Monday and the lack of stability, we made a few changes to the bike and it was a lot better so things were looking good but the misfire put paid to our hopes of a better result. I pitted at the end of the first lap and we thought we'd cured it but it got worse and worse and I had little option other than to pull in. It's a real shame as the team's worked really hard and we haven't had the results our efforts have deserved."

Rebecca Smith, Team Manager: "I'm really disappointed for Michael as he's been really unlucky this last week and a half. He was forced to make a switch to Dunlop tyres and he struggled to find a decent set up after that as all of our data and set up has been built around the British Supersport Championship. Moving onto the Dunlops meant we had to start from scratch which proved a challenge. That wasn't the deciding factor today and although it's a bit early to say, it looks like the misfire was caused by the plugs or coils, an issue that's never happened before so it's fair to say we've experienced the highs and lows of racing at the TT. We've had a great time here and to win our very first race here was an unbelievable achievement and something that will stay with us forever. I'd just like to thank everyone in the team for working so hard the entire time we've been here and we'll look forward to returning in 2015 stronger. Best wishes to Gary for a speedy recovery too."

Top 5 This Week