Jul 19, 2013
© 2014, Roadracing World Publishing, Inc.
by David Swarts
(This original, copyrighted material may not be copied, cut and pasted, published or otherwise reproduced in any way in any medium, which means, don’t post this on another website or BBS. If you want somebody else to see this, send, share or tweet a link or post a link to this page.)
GEICO Motorcycle AMA Pro Motorcycle-Superstore.com SuperSport: Tomas Puerta (12). Photo by Brian J. Nelson.
Red Bull U.S. Grand Prix/GEICO Motorcycle AMA Pro Road Racing
AMA Pro Motorcycle-Superstore.com SuperSport
Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca
July 19, 2013
Provisional Qualifying Session One Results (all on Dunlop tires):
1. Tomas Puerta (Yam YZF-R6), 1:29.736
2. Jeffrey Tigert (Yam YZF-R6), 1:29.749
3. Joe Roberts (Hon CBR600RR), 1:29.798
4. Corey Alexander (Suz GSX-R600), 1:30.006
5. Cameron Gish (Yam YZF-R6), 1:30.449
6. Stefano Mesa (Yam YZF-R6), 1:30.799
7. Wyatt Farris (Yam YZF-R6), 1:30.882
8. Ryan Matter (Yam YZF-R6), 1:30.898
9. Charles Weaver (Yam YZF-R6), 1:31.008
10. Travis Ohge (Suz GSX-R600), 1:31.141
11. Sebastiao Ferreira (Yam YZF-R6), 1:31.148
12. Brandon Cleland (Tri Daytona 675R), 1:32.208
13. Devon McDonough (Yam YZF-R6), 1:32.478
14. Andrew DiBrino (Yam YZF-R6), 1:32.597
15. Neill Herbert (Yam YZF-R6), 1:33.232
16. Javelin Broderick (Yam YZF-R6), 1:34.029
17. Daytona Anderson (Yam YZF-R6), 1:34.175
18. Chad Swain (Yam YZF-R6), 1:34.509
19. Thomas G. Montano (Tri Daytona 675R), 1:34.581
20. Michael Pond (Yam YZF-R6), 1:34.693
21. Felipe MacLean (Yam YZF-R6), 1:34.919
22. Jeremy Simmons (Yam YZF-R6), 1:35.875
23. JC Gibbs (Yam YZF-R6), 1:36.373
24. Danielle Diaz (Suz GSX-R600), 1:36.620
25. Erick Sanchez (Yam YZF-R6), 1:36.814
26. Jorge Castro (Yam YZF-R6), 1:37.359
27. Phil Horwitz (Yam YZF-R6), 1:37.456
28. Patricia Fernandez (Yam YZF-R6), 1:38.026
29. Oscar Covarrubias (Kaw ZX-6R), 1:38.045
30. Brian Rose (Suz GSX-R600), 1:38.093
31. Ricky Brown (Yam YZF-R6), 1:38.461
32. Bruce Bleecker (Yam YZF-R6), 1:39.095
33. Rick McDaniel (Yam YZF-R6), 1:39.262
34. Anthony T. Manciu (Yam YZF-R6), 1:39.502
35. Carlos Gulfo (Yam YZF-R6), 1:39.715
36. Edmundo Duenez (Yam YZF-R6), 1:40.011
37. David Marod (Duc 848), 1:59.512
More, from a press release issued by Team Hammer PR:
ROBERTS ON THE FRONT ROW AT LAGUNA SECA
Team Hammer opened the highly-anticipated combined AMA Pro/MotoGP weekend at Laguna Seca in encouraging fashion on Friday, securing some impressive results while expecting further improvement to come.
California Superbike School Roadracingworld.com Racing's Joe Roberts rejoined the squad this weekend for the second of his three-race AMA Pro schedule. The Red Bull MotoGP Rookies Cup regular dropped jaws in his AMA Pro debut weekend at Barber Motorsports Park, dominating the AMA SuperSport class there from start to finish.
The 16-year-old Californian proved hugely impressive again on Friday, finishing his first-ever session at Laguna Seca in fourth while learning his way around the circuit's numerous elevation changes and blind corners. Roberts took another big step forward in QP1, claiming a provisional front-row grid position by lapping third fastest at 1:29.798 on his CBR600RR, a scant 0.062 seconds off provisional pole.
GEICO Motorcycle Road Racing's Dane Westby enjoyed a strong opening day as well. The Oklahoman made some highly productive set-up changes to his CBR600RR following practice, allowing him to drop a second off his lap time on a medium race tire. Westby qualified sixth provisionally for Sunday's Daytona SportBike race at 1:28.681.
Meanwhile, fellow DSB contender M4 SportbikeTrackGear.com's Benny Solis endured a more difficult day. He crashed one of his bikes in the first practice and crashed his spare bike in the first qualifying session, only completing six laps. He still managed to secure a provisional third-row starting slot, 12th best at 1:30.163.
MPH Racing's Melissa Paris ended the day in 19th at 1:33.177 on her Team Hammer Contract Services Honda CBR600RR.
AMA Pro Superbike pilot Chris Ulrich flashed the potential to secure a strong result this weekend on Friday even though some minor issues prevented him from circulating as quickly as he might have otherwise during the day's sole Superbike practice session.
The M4 SportbikeTrackGear.com Racing rider was 13th in FP1 aboard his CBR1000RR at 1:28.815.
Ulrich said, "We had a small technical problem with one of the bikes in the session and that set us back. And then another part of the session we struggled with a bad rear tire that was losing air -- we don't really why that was. Those problems slowed our progress, but we're going to figure everything out. We have good information now, and we have a direction, which is good for the first day. And we've pinpointed areas where we can improve, so that's good, too. It was a lot easier to identify problem areas here. Now we're just going to work through those things and see what we can do."
About Team Hammer: In 2013, Team Hammer, Inc. is competing in its 33rd consecutive racing season, and is marking its seventh year of offering technical and logistical support through its Contract Services Department. Riders on Team Hammer-prepared racebikes have earned 56 AMA Pro National race wins; 132 AMA Pro National podium finishes; 5 AMA Pro Championships; 133 Overall National Endurance race wins; 13 National Endurance Championships and assorted other race wins and titles.