Oct 18, 2013
© 2013, Roadracing World Publishing, Inc.
by David Swarts
(This original, copyrighted material may not be copied, cut and pasted, published or otherwise reproduced in any way in any medium, which means, don’t post this on another website or BBS. If you want somebody else to see this, send, share or tweet a link or post a link to this page.)
ASRA Team Challenge Sanctioned by AMA: Race runner-up LB Racing's Lloyd Bayley (far left), race winners Neyra Racing's Justin Neyra (second from left) and Huntley Nash (second from right), and third-place finisher Eric Helmbach (far right). Photo by David Swarts, copyright Roadracing World Publishing, Inc.
Neyra Racing’s Huntley Nash and Justin Neyra took the overall race victory in the ASRA Team Challenge Sanctioned by AMA Friday at Daytona International Speedway.
Neyra Racing rode a Kawasaki ZX-10R fitted with Dunlop slicks and an enlarged fuel tank, which allowed them to do the 44-lap race on only one pit stop for fuel and a new rear tire. Neyra Racing led from early on and won the race by a margin of more than one lap.
"It's nice to be in Victory Circle again," Nash told Roadracingworld.com. "We've had an endurance tank all year. That's what we were originally going to do. So we had all the stuff to do the race, and we figured this would be good to prepare for the start of the AMA season here next spring."
LB Racing’s Lloyd Bayley was close behind Neyra Racing’s Nash early in the race, but Bayley said he ran off the track and lost touch with Nash. Bayley then ran off the track two more times, but was still able to finish second overall in spite of stretching one set of Dunlop slicks the entire race distance on his Suzuki GSX-R1000.
Like Bayley, Eric Helmbach rode the race solo, aboard his Dunlop-shod Chester Auto Repair BMW S1000RR. Helmbach had a relatively uneventful race to third overall, which was more than enough to finish off his fifth-straight overall Team Challenge Championship and his third-straight GTO class Championship.
AMA Pro SuperSport regular Frank Babuska, Jr. rode solo to fourth overall and the victory in the GTU class on his Babuska Racing Suzuki GSX-R600.
The Mavros & Boy Team of Charlie Mavros, Chris Boy and Seth Starnes took ninth overall and the win in the GT Lights category on a Ducati PS1000LE.
The race had 44 entries.
ASRA Team Challenge Sanctioned by AMA
Daytona International Speedway
Daytona Beach, Florida
October 18, 2013
Provisional Overall Results:
1. Neyra Racing (Huntley Nash/Justin Neyra), Kaw ZX-10R, GTO, 44 laps
2. LB Racing (Lloyd Bayley), Suz GSX-R1000, GTO, 43 laps
3. Chester Auto Repair (Eric Helmbach), BMW S1000RR, GTO, 43 laps, -72.252 seconds
4. Babuska Racing (Frank Babuska, Jr.), Suz GSX-R600, GTU, 42 laps
5. XRay (Christian Meekma/Ray Hofman), Yam YZF-R6, GTU, 41 laps
6. RnR Racing (Rachel Sasse/Rick Beggs/Jason Gibbens), Kaw ZX-6R, GTU, 41 laps, -4.147 seconds
7. Peter Brady Racing (Paul Schwemmer/John Ashmead), Kaw ZX-6R, GTU, 41 laps, -41.999 seconds
8. TOBC 1000 (Jon Couch/Scott Harwell), Suz GSX-R1000, GTO, 41 laps, -58.556 seconds
9. Mavros & Boy Team (Charlie Mavros/Chris Boy/Seth Starnes), Duc PS1000LE, 41 laps, -64.125 seconds
10. Pool Boy Racing (Carl Soltisz/Dan Ortega), Yam YZF-R6, 41 laps, -86.030 seconds