Apr 4, 2013
© 2015, Roadracing World Publishing, Inc.
by David Swarts
(This original, copyrighted material may not be copied, cut and pasted, published or otherwise reproduced in any way in any medium, which means, don’t post this on another website or BBS. If you want somebody else to see this, send, share or tweet a link or post a link to this page.)
FIM Moto2 World Championship
April 4, 2013
Free Practice Two Results (all using Honda engines and Dunlop tires):
1. Takaaki NAKAGAMI, Japan (KALEX), 2:00.924
2. Esteve RABAT, Spain (PONS KALEX), 2:01.016
3. Pol ESPARGARO, Spain (PONS KALEX), 2:01.110
4. Scott REDDING, UK (KALEX), 2:01.433
5. Julian SIMON, Spain (KALEX), 2:01.838
6. Simone CORSI, Italy (SPEED UP), 2:01.846
7. Dominique AEGERTER, Switzerland (SUTER), 2:01.940
8. Mika KALLIO, Finland (KALEX), 2:01.981
9. Alex DE ANGELIS, San Marino (SPEED UP), 2:02.051
10. Nicolas TEROL, Spain (SUTER), 2:02.121
11. Ratthapark WILAIROT, Thailand (SUTER), 2:02.323
12. Axel PONS, Spain (PONS KALEX), 2:02.527
13. Mike DI MEGLIO, France (MOTOBI), 2:02.601
14. Marcel SCHROTTER, Germany (KALEX), 2:02.638
15. Sandro CORTESE, Germany (KALEX), 2:02.694
16. Randy KRUMMENACHER, Switzerland (SUTER), 2:02.755
17. Johann ZARCO, France (SUTER), 2:02.800
18. Toni ELIAS, Spain (KALEX), 2:02.843
19. Jordi TORRES, Spain (SUTER), 2:03.134
20. Louis ROSSI, France (TECH 3), 2:03.145
21. Ricard CARDUS, Spain (SPEED UP), 2:03.181
22. Xavier SIMEON, Belgium (KALEX), 2:03.208
23. Sergio GADEA, Spain (SUTER), 2:03.405
24. Danny KENT, UK (TECH 3), 2:03.420
25. Anthony WEST, Australia (SPEED UP), 2:03.427
26. Yuki TAKAHASHI, Japan (MORIWAKI), 2:04.200
27. Mattia PASINI, Italy (SPEED UP), 2:05.044
28. Doni Tata PRADITA, Indonesia (SUTER), 2:05.087
29. Alberto MONCAYO, Spain (SPEED UP), 2:05.131
30. Kyle SMITH, UK (KALEX), 2:05.732
31. Steven ODENDAAL, South Africa (SPEED UP), 2:06.120
32. Rafid Topan SUCIPTO, Indonesia (SPEED UP), 2:07.050
More, from a press release issued by Marc VDS Racing Team:
Doha, Qatar - 4 April 2013: The Marc VDS Racing Team got their 2013 campaign off to a solid start in the first two free practice sessions in Qatar, with Scott Redding ending the day fourth fastest and Mika Kallio just 0.5s off his teammate's time in eighth position.
As always in Qatar the first free practice session was held on a surface made slippery by sand blown onto the track, a situation made worse this year by the additional sand and dust raised by construction work on the perimeter of the Losail International Circuit.
Redding managed to master the tricky conditions quickly to finish the first 45-minute free practice session fourth fastest. The 20-year-old Briton was fourth once again in this evening's second free practice, but improved his lap time to close to within 0.5s of the top of the timesheet.
In this evening's second free practice session Kallio improved by almost one second, but dropped from seventh to eight position on the timesheet. A wheels in line style rider in previous seasons, Kallio impressed with his sideways style tonight on the dirty and slippery Losail track.
The Moto2 riders get one final 45-minute free practice session tomorrow evening, starting at 19.55 local time.
Scott Redding #45: 4th - 2'01.433
"The first session today was just about getting used to the bike and the track again, so it was good to be inside the top five on the timesheet. As the track cleaned up I was able to improve my lap time in the second session, but we're still losing time in the final sector, like always. We need to look for an improvement there tomorrow but, other than that, the bike is working well and I'm happy enough with our first day's work here in Qatar."
Mika Kallio #36: 8th - 2'01.981
"My feeling with the bike here is good, on both of the tyre options we have available this weekend, so our package is competitive. The only issue is the gap to the front at the moment. We need to find some improvement tomorrow, to improve the feeling on corner entry so that I can carry more speed through the turn. If we can pick up a little time in each corner in this way then we should be able to reduce the gap to the front ahead of qualifying."
Michael Bartholemy: Team Principal
"I'm happy enough to have both riders in the top ten at the end of the opening day here in Qatar, especially as Scott is just 0.5s off Takaaki Nakagami's fastest time. We saw lap times improve across the board by almost a second, so we know the track surface is starting to clean up as more laps are completed. It's still a little dirty offline, which is why we didn't take any risks today, but as conditions continue to improve tomorrow then I'd expect to see both Scott and Mika close the gap to the top of the timesheet even further."
More, from a press release issued by MAPFRE Aspar Team:
MOTO2 PARTY GETS STARTED UNDER LOSAIL LIGHTS
Terol tenth fastest as Torres takes two seconds off best time between sessions
For the sixth year in succession the MotoGP World Championship got underway beneath the stunning floodlights of the Losail Circuit in Qatar tonight. After five months of relentless winter testing the Moto2 riders finally showed their hand in two official free practice sessions for the opening round of the campaign, with Nakagaami closing in on lap record pace as he clocked the fastest time of the day, closely followed by Rabat and Espargaró. As usual there was minimal difference between the top ten riders and it looks to be another exciting season in the intermediate class.
MAPFRE Aspar rider Nico Terol closed out the top ten tonight, just over a second off the pacesetter but with a good feeling and room for improvement. His team-mate Jordi Torres made his debut at Losail, starting out with a long run as he focused purely on learning the circuit. The Spanish rookie got his references in the second session and slashed two seconds off his best lap.
10th Nico Terol 2.02.121 (31 laps): "This circuit was always a good one for me on the 125 but in the first Moto2 session tonight we had some trouble with the front end that we managed to solve by moving more weight forward. I am happy about that but we still need to find more grip and get more out of the engine because it is normally faster than this. It is only the first day, we're in the top ten and I know there is a lot more to come from us so we'll keep working hard to improve tomorrow."
19th Jordi Torres 2.03.134 (36 laps): "I knew it was going to be difficult to get my reference points and in the braking zones in the first session but I must admit I found it tough. I did a long run to try and get used to the circuit without focusing on anything else but we worked hard in both sessions and I was able to improve my feeling and my lap times. It is a wide and fast track and I have to learn the right lines so that I don't lose too much time. I had a better feeling in the second session and even though we are a little way down on the timesheets it's only my first night at Losail so I am not concerned."