FIM Moto2 World Championship
March 11, 2014
Day One Test Times (all using Honda engines and Dunlop tires):
1. Takaaki Nakagami, Japan (Kalex), 1:42.587
2. Thomas Luthi, Switzerland (Suter) 1:42.790
3. Sam Lowes, UK (Speed Up), 1:42.928
4. Luis Salom, Spain (Kalex), 1:42.958
5. Alex De Angelis, San Marino (Suter), 1:43.019
6. Johann Zarco, France (Caterham-Suter), 1:43.141
7. Lorenzo Baldassari, Italy (Suter), 1:43.299
8. Dominique Aegerter, Switzerland (Suter), 1:43.368
9. Julian Simon, Spain (Kalex), 1:43.441
10. Jonas Folger, Germany (Kalex), 1:43.521
11. Sandro Cortese, Germany (Kalex), 1:43.559
12. Simone Corsi, Italy (Forward-KLX), 1:43.564
13. Mattia Pasini, Italy (Forward-KLX), 1:43.579
14. Maverick Vinales, Spain (Kalex), 1:43.666
15. Franco Morbidelli, Italy (Kalex), 1:43.697
16. Xavier Simeon, Belgium (Suter), 1:43.704
17. Axel Pons, Spain (Kalex), 1:43.758
18. Louis Rossi, France (Kalex), 1:43.762
19. Marcel Schrotter, Germany (Tech 3), 1:43.972
20. Hafizh Syahrin (Malaysia), 1:44.066
21. Anthony West, Australia (Speed Up), 1:44.086
22. Josh Herrin, USA (Caterham-Suter), 1:44.144
23. Gino Rea, UK (Suter), 1:44.274
24. Azlan Shah, Malaysia (Kalex), 1:44.314
25. Roman Ramos, Spain (Speed Up), 1:44.475
26. Randy Krummenacher, Switzerland (Suter), 1:44.477
27. Robin Mulhauser, Switzerland (Suter), 1:45.544
28. Ricky Cardus, Spain (Tech 3), 1:45.831
29. Tetsuta Nagashima, Japan (TSR), 1:45.889
30. Thitipong Warokorn, Thailand (Kalex), 1:46.140
More, from a press release issued by AirAsia Caterham Moto Racing:
|Final Pre-Season Test Commences at Jerez|
|Circuit of Jerez, 11th March 201|
|Circuit Length: 4.423 m|
|Bike # 5 – Johann Zarco P6 – best time – 1:43.141|
Bike # 2 – Josh Herrin P22 – best time – 1:44.144
|Weather: air temperature 25°c (dry) / track temperature 33°C max|
AirAsia Caterham Moto Racing returned to Jerez for the last three days of pre-season testing.
Under sunny skies the team made a great start with Johann Zarco running consistently in the top six and achieving a personal best time of 1:43.141 around the Spanish circuit.
Meanwhile Moto2 rookie Josh Herrin concentrated on improving his base setting from the previous test in Jerez. Initially struggling to feel comfortable on the #2 bike, the team focussed their attentions on improving rider position for better balance and the rear link for more support. With a renewed confidence on the Caterham Suter the American pushed on to achieve his fastest time of the day in the final session.
Johann Zarco: “Today has been a good first day and we made a good step forward.
“Everyone now has the same engine and my feeling is that the engine is strong and going quite fast. We are still not in the 1m42s so this is the target for the next couple of days as we have to do this time to be near the podium but I am happy and so are the technicians. Today has provided us with valuable information.
“I now have to stay focussed and keep a fighting mind, to push to improve the lap time and do a good job. We cannot forget that some riders are missing today but we are not far away from finding the right base.”
Josh Herrin: “Today we made a lot of changes to my position on the bike to make me feel more comfortable.
“I’m happy with the new settings that we found and feel ready to push for a better lap time; I will also aim to put together some longer runs tomorrow.