From a press release from the Parts Canada Superbike Championship series:
Barnes on the pole
Friday's Official Report
July 19, 2002
BOWMANVILLE, ON - Michael Barnes trounced the competition in qualifying for the Formula USA Lockhart-Phillips Superbike/International Motorcycle SUPERSHOW Open Sport Bike event at Mosport International Raceway Friday.
The Boca Raton, FL racer took his Hooters Suzuki GSX-R750 to a new class lap record time of 1:22.863 to claim pole position for the feature event in the SUPERSHOW 2003 presents The Coors Light Canada vs. USA Match Races.
The prior mark was a 1:23.368 set during last year's Open Sport Bike race.
Previous record holder Frank Trombino of Kleinburg, ON claimed the second spot on the grid with a time of 1:23.586 on his Orion Motorsports Honda CBR954RR.
Barnes' Hooters Suzuki teammate Larry Pegram of Baltimore, OH was third on another GSX-R750 with a best lap of 1:23.592.
"I'm pretty stoked," said Barnes. "In the beginning of the session I used a hard compound tire and I stayed out longer than I planned. Then I came in for a softer tire, and I knew if I had a clear track I could pull something good off."
Mansfield, MA rider Eric Wood completes the front row of the grid for Saturday's opening 16-lap leg of the Lockhart-Phillips Superbike/International Motorcycle SUPERSHOW Open Sport Bike feature after setting a time of 1:23.645 on the 14K The Movie Suzuki GSX-R750.
The first leg of Saturday afternoon's race will count for points towards the Canadian-based Open Sport Bike series while both 16-lappers will carry points for the Lockhart-Phillips Superbike series. The top 10 finishers in the second race will earn points towards the Canada vs. USA Match Races trophy.
Saturday's action also includes qualifying for the Parts Canada Superbike class, as well as the combined Pro Honda Oils 600 Sport Bike and Yoshimura 600 Sport Bike division. The 600 Sport Bike race on Sunday will make up the second half of the Canada vs. USA Match Races scoring.
Toronto's Michael Taylor was quickest in Parts Canada Superbike practice Friday with a time of 1:22.645 on his Brooklin Cycle Yamaha YZF-R1. Barnes led the 600 Sport Bike group on his Hooters Suzuki GSX-R600 with a 1:25.662.
The Parts Canada Superbike and 600 Sport Bike races will go Sunday afternoon.
This weekend's races will be televised on TSN Saturday, Aug. 10 and Saturday, Aug. 24. Start time for both shows is 11:30 am EDT. Action from Mosport will also be shown later this year on Quebec's RDS and across Canada on the Outdoor Life Network.
Final F-USA Unlimited Superbike/Canadian Open Sportbike Qualifying Results:
1. Michael Barnes, Suzuki GSX-R750, 1:22.863
2. Frank Trombino, Honda CBR954RR, 1:23.586
3. Larry Pegram, Suzuki GSX-R750, 1:23.592
4. Eric Wood, Suzuki GSX-R750, 1:23.645
5. Francis Martin, Suzuki GSX-R1000, 1:23.657
6. Craig Connell, Suzuki GSX-R750, 1:23.678
7. Clint McBain, Suzuki GSX-R1000, 1:23.767
8. Michael Himmelsbach, Aprilia RSV1000R, 1:23.846
9. Geoff May, Suzuki GSX-R1000, 1:23.873
10. Michael Taylor, Yamaha YZF-R1, 1:23.963
11. Jean-Francois Cyr, Yamaha YZF-R1, 1:24.231
12. Jeff Williams, Suzuki, 1:24.358
13. Lee Acree, Suzuki GSX-R750, 1:24.518
14. Benoit Pilon, Yamaha YZF-R1, 1:24.777
15. Greg Boki, Yamaha, 1:24.960
16. Shawn Higbee, Suzuki GSX-R750, 1:24.966
17. Owen Weichel, Kawasaki, 1:25.264
18. Ugo Levert, Suzuki, 1:25.334
19. Mike Desmarais, Suzuki, 1:25.528
20. Joe Temperato, Suzuki, 1:25.700
21. Kevin Lacombe, Honda, 1:25.839
22. Darryn Wilbur, Yamaha, 1:26.148
23. Scott Greenwood, Suzuki GSX-R750, 1:26.513
24. Philip Onisto, Suzuki, 1:27.273
25. Chris Peris, Honda CBR600F4i, 1:27.795
26. Clint Hines, Suzuki, 1:27.963
27. Joe Spina, Suzuki, 1:27.978
28. Dave Young, Suzuki, 1:28.041
29. Jerome Plourde, Suzuki, 1:28.117
30. Jason S. Smith, Suzuki GSX-R750, 1:28.296
31. Gaston Labrie, Suzuki, 1:28.737
32. Joel McDonald, Yamaha, 1:28.794
33. Csaba Werner, Suzuki, 1:29.035
34. Francis Dubuc, Suzuki, 1:29.293
35. Martin Hamel, Yamaha, 1:29.463
36. John Brundl, Honda, 1:29.714
37. Pauly Sherer, Suzuki GSX-R750, 1:30.111
38. Walter Dimitrovski, Honda, 1:30.450
39. Chris Tufford, Yamaha, 1:30.590
40. Zenon Nelson, Suzuki, 1:30.630
41. Peter Marsh, Kawasaki, 1:31.547
42. Victor Paiva, Kawasaki, 1:32.002
43. Steve Dufresne, Suzuki, 1:32.208
44. Dwight D. Mitchell, MV Agusta, 1:35.624
45. Patrick Blouin, Honda, 1:36.728
DQ* Chris Murray-Audain, Yamaha, 1:26.546
*Disqualified due to leaving pit lane during Qualification session
The Parts Canada Superbike Championship series is also reporting that Synergy Honda's Matt Wait will not ride in the races at Mosport due to a concussion received in a practice crash Friday. The report says doctors have cleared Wait to ride but the Synergy team has asked Wait to sit the weekend out.