Digital Edition Subscribers: Read Roadracing World Magazine Now >   |   Win Cool Prizes: Take Our Reader Survey >
Roadracing - An Online Service of Roadracing World Magazine
Jun 6, 2013

Medical Update From The GEICO Motorcycle AMA Pro Road Races At Road America (Updated Again)

The aftermath of the AMA Pro SuperSport Race Two incident June 2 at Road America. Photo by David Swarts, copyright Roadracing World Publishing, Inc.
During the restart of AMA Pro SuperSport Race Two June 2 at Road America, seven riders crashed in a chain-reaction incident.

Riders who crashed in the incident were Hayden Gillim, Shawn Hill, Roi Holster, Tyler Linders, Caroline Olsen, Alex Shaw and Ricardo Valdez.

Team 95/RM Racing’s Gillim injured his left foot but was able to participate in the restarted race later the same day.

Hill’s condition was not known at post time, but all riders were reported by AMA Pro Racing to be awake, alert and responsive at the scene. Hill races with support from

Napacom Racing’s Holster suffered a broken right wrist and a broken finger on his left hand. He was treated and released from a local medical facility on June 2.

Next Moto Champion’s Linders was transported by ambulance to St. Nicolas Hospital, in Sheboygan, Wisconsin, where he was diagnosed with a broken right foot and five fractures to his pelvis. He was soon transferred to a hospital in Milwaukee, where he remains today, according to a postings on Facebook and the WERA BBS made by Linders’ father Rob .

Celtic Racing/Orient Express’ Olsen crushed her right humorous into her shoulder joint. She flew to Fremont, California, where she had surgery June 4 at the hands of Dr. Arthur Ting, according to Endurance World Championship racer Jason Pridmore, who accompanied Olsen on the trip. She was released from Ting’s facility June 5, was flown by AMA Pro racer and pilot Steve Rapp to Camarillo, California, and is currently recuperating at the home of Pridmore in Ventura, California.

Shaw suffered a badly sprained ankle and significant road rash, according to his team MOB Racing. He was treated and released from a local hospital on June 2.

Southeast Sales’ Valdez was struck by two different motorcycles in the incident. He was initially transported to St. Nicolas Hospital, in Sheboygan, but he was later transferred to Froedtert Memorial Hospital, in Milwaukee. Valdez suffered a fractured and dislocated right hip, a broken right ankle and broken ribs on his right side, he told June 5. He had his hip relocated soon after arriving in Milwaukee, and he had surgery June 4 to repair his fractured hip bone. He said doctors are waiting for the swelling to go down in his ankle before performing surgery on it. He said he expects to remain at Froedtert Memorial Hospital until this coming weekend.

UPDATE: Valdez was released from the hospital today, he reported to via a private online message.

SECOND UPDATE: Myles Motorsports Racing's Hill contacted Thursday afternoon and reported that he was transported to St. Nicolas Hospital in Sheboygan. There a CT scan revealed fractures to his L1 and L3 vertbrae, and he was treated and released the same day, June 2. A follow-up examination with Hill's orthopedist near his home in Wilmington, Illinois, also revealed a non-displaced fracture to a lower leg.