Aug 17, 2013
© 2016, Roadracing World Publishing, Inc.
by David Swarts
(This original, copyrighted material may not be copied, cut and pasted, published or otherwise reproduced in any way in any medium, which means, don’t post this on another website or BBS. If you want somebody else to see this, send, share or tweet a link or post a link to this page.)
FIM MotoGP World Championship: Marc Marquez (93) riding his Repsol Honda at Indianapolis Motor Speedway. Photo courtesy of Dorna/motogp.com.
American Ben Spies crashed during the session, and according to MotoGP's official Twitter feed, he dislocated his left shoulder and has been declared unfit to continue in the event.
Red Bull Indianapolis GP
FIM MotoGP World Championship
Indianapolis Motor Speedway
August 17, 2013
Free Practice Three Results (all on Bridgestone tires):
1. Marc MARQUEZ, Spain (HONDA), 1:38.844
2. Stefan BRADL, Germany (HONDA), 1:39.125
3. Cal CRUTCHLOW, UK (YAMAHA), 1:39.441
4. Alvaro BAUTISTA, Spain (HONDA), 1:39.538
5. Dani PEDROSA, Spain (HONDA), 1:39.569
6. Jorge LORENZO, Spain (YAMAHA), 1:39.597
7. Valentino ROSSI, Italy (YAMAHA), 1:39.640
8. Bradley SMITH, UK (YAMAHA), 1:39.765
9. Andrea DOVIZIOSO, Italy (DUCATI), 1:39.812
10. Nicky HAYDEN, USA (DUCATI), 1:39.889
11. Andrea IANNONE, Italy (DUCATI), 1:39.906
12. Danilo PETRUCCI, Italy (IODA/SUTER-BMW), 1:40.879
13. Aleix ESPARGARO, Spain (ART-Aprilia), 1:40.895
14. Ben SPIES, USA (DUCATI), 1:41.451, crash
15. Yonny HERNANDEZ, Colombia (ART-Aprilia), 1:41.707
16. Colin EDWARDS, USA (FTR-Kawasaki), 1:41.845
17. Claudio CORTI, Italy (FTR-Kawasaki), 1:41.853
18. Hiroshi AOYAMA, Japan (FTR-Kawasaki), 1:42.041
19. Hector BARBERA, Spain (FTR-Kawasaki), 1:42.042
20. Bryan STARING, Australia (FTR-Honda), 1:42.375
21. Randy DE PUNIET, France (ART-Aprilia), 1:42.583
22. Michael LAVERTY, UK (PBM-Aprilia), 1:42.647
23. Lukas PESEK, Czech Republic (IODA/SUTER-BMW), 1:42.789
24. Karel ABRAHAM, Czech Republic (ART-Aprilia), 1:43.325
25. Blake YOUNG, USA (APR-Kawasaki), 1:44.956
More, from a press release issued by Pramac Racing:
Dislocated left clavicle for Ben Spies
The Indianapolis GP weekend ended with a 2nd-3rd degree dislocation of the acromioclavicular joint in his left shoulder, suffered in a turn-four crash approximately midway through the third free-practice session.
Fortunately, Spies’ right shoulder, which recently underwent a long rehabilitation process, wasn’t injured in the fall.
On Monday, the Texan will undergo additional, more thorough exams, after which it will be possible to better understand the necessary recovery time.
More, from another press release issued by Pramac Racing:
Andrea Iannone very close to Q2
On the final lap of this morning’s free-practice 3, at which point direct transfers to Q2 are decided, Andrea Iannone was bumped to eleventh place by just .017 seconds by fellow Ducati rider Nicky Hayden.
The Italian will therefore participate in the Q1 session.
Andrea Iannone – Energy T.I. Pramac Racing Team
“This morning was a really positive session because I improved quite a bit compared to yesterday. My shoulder hurt a bit more, maybe because of the exertion I put it through yesterday. Before I went on track, I decided along with the Mobile Clinic to take a painkiller to help me during the session. Still, it hurts in the changes of direction. Anyway, I liked the changes we did to the bike, and I rode better, so all in all, I’m not so bad. I’m sorry to have barely lost out on going straight to Q2, but we’ll get ready for Q1 and the race. We have to improve our pace.”