Aug 3, 2013
© 2017, Roadracing World Publishing, Inc.
by David Swarts
(This original, copyrighted material may not be copied, cut and pasted, published or otherwise reproduced in any way in any medium, which means, don’t post this on another website or BBS. If you want somebody else to see this, send, share or tweet a link or post a link to this page.)
GEICO Motorcycle AMA Pro National Guard Superbike: Josh Hayes (1) in action on his Monster Energy Graves Yamaha YZF-R1 at Miller Motorsports Park. Photo by Brian J. Nelson/AMA Pro Racing.
Three-time and defending GEICO Motorcycle AMA Pro National Guard Superbike Champion Josh Hayes secured his sixth straight pole position of the season and the 28th Superbike pole position of his career Saturday at Miller Motorsports Park.
Hayes earned the provisional pole position on Friday afternoon by turning a lap of 1:51.021 on his Monster Energy Graves Yamaha YZF-R1 Superbike. The Mississippi native then lowered his time to 1:50.268 in Saturday morning’s final qualifying session to secure the first spot on the grid.
It was a good thing that Hayes went faster on Saturday because his teammate Josh Herrin also went faster Saturday morning, but Herrin’s time of 1:50.534 came up just short of earning the pole position.
National Guard Suzuki’s Roger Hayden was quicker Saturday (1:51.329) than he was Friday (1:51.391), but he was bumped from second to third on the front row by Herrin’s performance.
Martin Cardenas also improved his pace on his Yoshimura Suzuki GSX-R1000, dropping from 1:51.628 to 1:51.573 on Saturday, but he was unable to improve his position on the grid, fourth.
Jordan Suzuki’s Danny Eslick (1:51.943), Foremost Insurance/Pegram Racing Yamaha’s Larry Pegram (1:52.047), Team AMSOIL/Hero EBR’s Aaron Yates (1:52.059) and Motosport.com/Motul/Fly Racing’s “Aussie Dave” Anthony (1:52.074) earned spots on the second row.
Row three will be composed of Team Hero EBR’s Geoff May (1:52.143), KTM/HMC Racing’s Taylor Knapp (1:53.054) and Chris Fillmore (1:53.111), and Cardenas’ teammate Chris Clark (1:53.111). Fillmore and Clark turned the exact same time in qualifying, but Fillmore was placed ahead of Clark on the grid because he turned his lap time before Clark.
Of the 25 riders who tried, 22 qualified for the Superbike race, including Marie-Josee Boucher, a 33-year-old female racer from Montreal, Canada. Records are still being checked, but as of post time it appears that Boucher is the first female rider to qualify for an AMA Pro Superbike race since Suzanne Brightbill raced in 1989.
Miller Motorsports Park National/AMA Pro Road Racing
AMA Pro National Guard SuperBike
Miller Motorsports Park
August 3, 2013
Provisional Combined Qualifying Results (all on Dunlop tires):
1. Josh Hayes (Yam YZF-R1), 1:50.268
2. Josh Herrin (Yam YZF-R1), 1:50.534
3. Roger Hayden (Suz GSX-R1000), 1:51.329
4. Martin Cardenas (Suz GSX-R1000), 1:51.573
5. Danny Eslick (Suz GSX-R1000), 1:51.943
6. Larry Pegram (Yam YZF-R1), 1:52.047
7. Aaron Yates (EBR 1190RS), 1:52.059
8. David Anthony (Suz GSX-R1000), 1:52.074
9. Geoff May (EBR 1190RS), 1:52.143
10. Taylor Knapp (KTM RC8R), 1:53.054
11. Chris Fillmore (KTM RC8R), 1:53.111
12. Chris Clark (Suz GSX-R1000), 1:53.111
13. Cory West (EBR 1190RS), 1:53.238
14. Chris Ulrich (Hon CBR1000RR), 1:53.756
15. Dustin Dominguez (EBR 1190RS), 1:54.295
16. Robertino Pietri (Kaw ZX-10R), 1:54.469
17. Reese Wacker (Suz GSX-R1000), 1:55.466
18. Oleg Pianykh (Suz GSX-R1000), 1:55.554
19. Francois Dumas (BMW S1000RR), 1:55.967
20. Trent Gibson (Suz GSX-R1000), 1:56.459
21. Marie-Josee Boucher (BMW S1000RR), 1:56.533
22. Mathew Orange (BMW S1000RR), 1:56.717
107% of Fast Time: 1:57.986
23. Johnny Rock Page (Suz GSX-R1000), 1:58.109
24. Tony Porter (Kaw ZX-10R), 1:58.991
25. Aaron Ascher (Kaw ZX-10R), no time recorded