Aug 2, 2013
© 2016, Roadracing World Publishing, Inc.
by David Swarts
(This original, copyrighted material may not be copied, cut and pasted, published or otherwise reproduced in any way in any medium, which means, don’t post this on another website or BBS. If you want somebody else to see this, send, share or tweet a link or post a link to this page.)
GEICO Motorcycle AMA Pro GoPro Daytona SportBike: Garrett Gerloff (right) confers with Crew Chief Brian Stokes (left) in their garage at Miller Motorsports Park. Photo by David Swarts, copyright Roadracing World Publishing, Inc.
Yamaha Extended Service/Monster Energy/Graves Yamaha rider Garrett Gerloff went quicker than the current class lap record during the first AMA Pro GoPro Daytona SportBike practice Friday at Miller Motorsports Park.
Gerloff, riding his YZF-R6, lapped the 3.0-mile Perimeter Course in 1:55.019. That’s quicker than Jason DiSalvo’s 2011 class lap record of 1:55.291.
"The track's actually really good right now," Gerloff told Roadracingworld.com. "I thought it would be dusty, but it felt good and my YES/Monster Energy/Graves Yamaha felt great."
Asked if his previous experience racing as an amateur at Miller Motorsports Park contributed to his early success, Gerloff, a rookie in the DSB class, said, "For sure. I have been here a ton and have lots of experience here. That helps, but the confidence I got from finishing second at Laguna also helps a lot."
Gerloff’s teammate and the current Championship point leader Cameron Beaubier was also under the lap record Friday morning with a time of 1:55.134.
The practice time of Gerloff will not count as a new lap record, however, according to AMA Pro Racing. Times turned during official qualifying are currently the only laps recognized toward lap records.
None of the other 20 riders in the session dipped into the 1:55 bracket in the first practice.
Miller Motorsports Park National/AMA Pro Road Racing
AMA Pro GoPro Daytona SportBike
Miller Motorsports Park
August 2, 2013
Provisional Free Practice One Results (all on Dunlop tires):
1. Garrett Gerloff (Yam YZF-R6), 1:55.019
2. Cameron Beaubier (Yam YZF-R6), 1:55.134
3. Jason DiSalvo (Tri Daytona 675R), 1:56.071
4. JD Beach (Yam YZF-R6), 1:56.281
5. Dane Westby (Hon CBR600RR), 1:57.206
6. Jake Lewis (Yam YZF-R6), 1:57.362
7. Jake Gagne (Yam YZF-R6), 1:57.383
8. James Rispoli (Suz GSX-R600), 1:57.490
9. Fernando Amantini (Yam YZF-R6), 1:58.341
10. Benny Solis (Hon CBR600RR), 1:59.400
11. Jake Zemke (Tri Daytona 675R), 1:59.612
12. Kenny Riedmann (Tri Daytona 675R), 1:59.787
13. Ben Young (Yam YZF-R6), 2:00.119
14. Bryce Prince (Yam YZF-R6), 2:00.478
15. Melissa Paris (Hon CBR600RR), 2:00.695
16. Joey Pascarella (Tri Daytona 675R), 2:00.876
17. Elena Myers (Tri Daytona 675R), 2:01.016
18. Chad R. Lewin (Kaw ZX-6R), 2:01.730
19. Gerry Signorelli (Tri Daytona 675R), 2:01.960
20. Bobby Fong (Tri Daytona 675R), 2:03.655
21. Kelcey Walker (Yam YZF-R6), 2:04.153
22. Roi Holster (Yam YZF-R6), 2:10.155