eni FIM Superbike World Championship
Sepang Circuit, Malaysia
June 8, 2014
Race One Results (all on Pirelli tires):
1. Marco MELANDRI, Italy (Aprilia RSV4 Factory), 16 laps, 33:42.359
2. Sylvain GUINTOLI, France (Aprilia RSV4 Factory), -0.620 second
3. Eugene LAVERTY, Ireland (Suzuki GSX-R1000), -12.865 seconds
4. Chaz DAVIES, UK (Ducati 1199 Panigale R), -15.437
5. Toni ELIAS, Spain (Aprilia RSV4 Factory), -15.723
6. Jonathan REA, UK (Honda CBR1000RR), -31.304
7. Leon HASLAM, UK (Honda CBR1000RR), -34.093
8. Davide GIUGLIANO, Italy (Ducati 1199 Panigale R), -35.804
9. David SALOM, Spain (Kawasaki ZX-10R), EVO, -42.031
10. Leon CAMIER, UK (BMW S1000RR), EVO, -49.465
11. Jeremy GUARNONI, France (Kawasaki ZX-10R), EVO, -53.715
12. Alessandro ANDREOZZI, Italy (Kawasaki ZX-10R), EVO, -67.783
13. Bryan STARING, Australia (Kawasaki ZX-10R), EVO, -70.746
14. Imre TOTH, Hungary (BMW S1000RR), -78.143
15. Romain LANUSSE, France (Kawasaki ZX-10R), EVO, -81.026
16. Aaron YATES, USA (EBR 1190RX), -109.054
17. Niccolo CANEPA, Italy (Ducati 1199 Panigale R), EVO, -3 laps, DNF, mechanical
18. Sheridan MORAIS, South Africa (Kawasaki ZX-10R), EVO, -9 laps, DNF, retired
19. Peter SEBESTYEN, Hungary (BMW S1000RR), EVO, -10 laps, DNF, mechanical
20. Claudio CORTI, Italy (MV Agusta F4 RR), -10 laps, DNF, retired
21. Fabien FORET, France (Kawasaki ZX-10R), EVO, -12 laps, DNF, retired
22. Alex LOWES, UK (Suzuki GSX-R1000), -16 laps, DNF, crash
23. Loris BAZ, France (Kawasaki ZX-10R), -16 laps, DNF, crash
24. Tom SYKES, UK (Kawasaki ZX-10R), -16 laps, DNF, crash
25. Geoff MAY, USA (EBR 1190RX), DNS
Subjects to Homologation:
STH. Ayrton BADOVINI, Italy (Bimota BB3), EVO, -55.683 seconds
STH. Christian IDDON, UK (Bimota BB3), EVO, -8 laps, DNF, crash
More, from a press release issued by Dorna WSBK Press Office:
Melandri takes maiden victory on the RSV4 in Race 1Sepang (Malaysia), Sunday 8 June 2014 -The first ever race at Sepang for the eni FIM Superbike World Championship was a thriller, with Aprilia Racing Team's Marco Melandri and Sylvain Guintoli locked in a titanic battle for victory until the flag. The race was incident packed from the start as Loris Baz tangled with his Kawasaki racing team mate Tom Sykes, both riders falling and taking with them Alex Lowes (Voltcom Crescent Suzuki).
With the incident creating a gap at the front the race, Sylvain Guintoli and Marco Melandri exchanged places at the front with Melandri eventually coming out as the victor and claiming his first win as a factory Aprilia rider. Guintoli was second.
Behind the leading two, a three way fight raged with Eugene Laverty (Voltcom Crescent Suzuki) claiming the final podium spot ahead of Chaz Davies (Ducati Superbike Team) and Toni Elias (Red Devils Roma Aprilia) who were 4th and 5th respectively.
Sixth at the end of the first 16 lap encounter of the day went to Jonathan Rea (Pata Honda World Superbike Team) who recovered from a bad start to get the better of his team mate Leon Haslam.
David Salom (Kawasaki Racing Team) claimed the EVO honours with a spirited ride to 9th overall ahead of Leon Camier (BMW Motorrad Italia) who was 10th. Bryan Staring (Iron Brain Grillini Kawasaki) scored points with 13th on his first Superbike start of the year.
Race two will begin at 16:30 local time.