Sep 15, 2013
© 2013, Roadracing World Publishing, Inc.
by David Swarts
(This original, copyrighted material may not be copied, cut and pasted, published or otherwise reproduced in any way in any medium, which means, don’t post this on another website or BBS. If you want somebody else to see this, send, share or tweet a link or post a link to this page.)
eni FIM Superbike World Championship: Intercity Istanbul Park.
eni FIM Superbike World Championship
Intercity Istanbul Park, Turkey
September 15, 2013
Race One Results (all on Pirelli tires):
1. Eugene LAVERTY, Ireland (Aprilia RSV4 Factory), 18 laps, 34:57.650
2. Marco MELANDRI, Italy (BMW S1000RR), -2.009 seconds
3. Tom SYKES, UK (Kawasaki ZX-10R), -3.432
4. Sylvain GUINTOLI, France (Aprilia RSV4 Factory), -3.919
5. Davide GIUGLIANO, Italy (Aprilia RSV4 Factory), -15.830
6. Toni ELIAS, Spain (Aprilia RSV4 Factory), -15.945
7. Jules CLUZEL, France (Suzuki GSX-R1000), -16.921
8. Chaz DAVIES, UK (BMW S1000RR), -21.491
9. Leon HASLAM, UK (Honda CBR1000RR), -40.186, ran off track
10. Michel FABRIZIO, Italy (Honda CBR1000RR), -40.218
11. Federico SANDI, Italy (Kawasaki ZX-10R), -41.700
12. Vittorio IANNUZZO, Italy (BMW S1000RR), -99.549
13. Tolga UPRAK, Turkey (Kawasaki ZX-10R), -1 lap
14. Yunus ERCELIK, Turkey (BMW S1000RR), -1 lap, ran off track
15. Mark AITCHISON, Australia (Kawasaki ZX-10R), -8 laps, DNF, mechanical
16. Ayrton BADOVINI, Italy (Ducati 1199 Panigale R), -9 laps, DNF, mechanical
More, from a press release issued by SBK Press Office:
Eugene Laverty does it better in Race 1
Istanbul (Turkey), Sunday 15 September 2013 - Eugene Laverty (Aprilia Racing Team) has won the first race of the day at the Intercity Istanbul Park, after what was a perfect performance by the Irishman. Moreover, it was the first Race 1 win - out of five overall - this year for Laverty, a crucial result for his title hopes. The factory Aprilia got in the lead during Lap 13 by overtaking Tom Sykes (Kawasaki Racing Team) and tenth by tenth he managed to pull away, while the Championship leader lost some ground and was passed by Marco Melandri (BMW Motorrad GoldBet) three laps later.
The Italian did an outstanding recovery from the third row on the grid thanks to a strong race pace but, once he managed to move up to second place, it was too late to try and catch Laverty. Meanwhile, Sylvain Guintoli (Aprilia Racing Team) began his charge to third place, but Sykes successfully defended his position up to the finish line.
Davide Giugliano (Althea Racing Team Aprilia) ended up fifth after a close battle with Toni Elias (Red Devils Roma Aprilia), that ended up with a collision between the two – with both able to stay upright – at the exit of the last turn. An almost identical situation involved Pata Honda riders Leon Haslam and Michel Fabrizio, with the Brit who managed to secure ninth place ahead of his team mate for the round.
The Honda duo crossed the line behind Jules Cluzel (FIXI Crescent Suzuki) and Chaz Davies (BMW Motorrad GoldBet), who were seventh and eighth respectively. Technical problems forced Ayrton Badovini (Team Ducati Alstare) and Mark Aitchison (Team Pedercini Kawasaki) out of the race.
Results: 1. Laverty (Aprilia) 18 Laps/96.120 km in 34'57.650 average 164.962 kph; 2. Melandri (BMW) 2.009; 3. Sykes (Kawasaki) 3.432; 4. Guintoli (Aprilia) 3.919; 5. Giugliano (Aprilia) 15.830; 6. Elias (Aprilia) 15.945; 7. Cluzel (Suzuki) 16.921; 8. Davies (BMW) 21.491; 9. Haslam (Honda) 40.186; 10. Fabrizio (Honda) 40.218; 11. Sandi (Kawasaki) 41.700; 12. Iannuzzo (BMW) 1'39.549; 13. Uprak (Kawasaki) 1 Lap; 14. Ercelik (BMW) 1 Lap; RT. Aitchison (Kawasaki); RT. Badovini (Ducati).