eni FIM Superbike World Championship
July 6, 2014
Race One Results (all on Pirelli tires):
1. Tom SYKES, UK (Kawasaki ZX-10R), 20 laps, 35:23.814
2. Sylvain GUINTOLI, France (Aprilia RSV4 Factory), -2.539 seconds
3. Loris BAZ, France (Kawasaki ZX-10R), -3.175
4. Marco MELANDRI, Italy (Aprilia RSV4 Factory), -4.042
5. Jonathan REA, UK (Honda CBR1000RR), -7.791
6. Alex LOWES, UK (Suzuki GSX-R1000), -14.772
7. Davide GIUGLIANO, Italy (Ducati 1199 Panigale R), -14.877
8. Eugene LAVERTY, Ireland (Suzuki GSX-R1000), -14.941
9. David SALOM, Spain (Kawasaki ZX-10R), EVO, -26.018
10. Sebastien BARRIER, France (BMW S1000RR), EVO, -26.032
11. Leon HASLAM, UK (Honda CBR1000RR), -33.041, crash
12. Jeremy GUARNONI, France (Kawasaki ZX-10R), EVO, -38.385
13. Niccolo CANEPA, Italy (Ducati 1199 Panigale R), EVO, -42.237
14. Riccardo RUSSO, Italy (Kawasaki ZX-10R), EVO, -47.908
15. Alesandro ANDREOZZI, Italy (Kawasaki ZX-10R), EVO, -63.502
16. Aaron YATES, USA (EBR 1190RX), -1 lap
17. Gabor RIZMAYER, Hungary (BMW S1000RR), -1 lap
18. Chaz DAVIES, UK (Ducati 1199 Panigale R), -5 laps, crash
19. Bryan STARING, Australia (Kawasaki ZX-10R), EVO, -7 laps, DNF, retired
20. Peter SEBESTYEN, Hungary (BMW S1000RR), EVO, -8 laps, DNF, mechanical
21. Sheridan MORAIS, South Africa (Kawasaki ZX-10R), EVO, -14 laps, DNF, retired
22. Toni ELIAS, Spain (Aprilia RSV4 Factory), -15 laps, DNF, crash
23. Fabien FORET, France (Kawasaki ZX-10R), EVO, -16 laps, DNF, mechanical
24. Geoff MAY, USA (EBR 1190RX), -16 laps, DNF, retired
Subjects to Homologation
STH. Ayrton BADOVINI, Italy (Bimota BB3), EVO, -34.442 seconds
STH. Christian IDDON, UK (Bimota BB3), EVO, -38.246 seconds
More, from a press release issued by WSBK Dorna Press Office:
pulls away and wins race 1 to extend points lead
Portimao (Portugal), Sunday 6 July 2014 - An enthralling 20 lap
race 1 saw Tom Sykes (Kawasaki Racing Team) emerge victorious at a cloudy and
overcast Portimao to claim his 7th win of the season and the 21st
of his WSBK career.
At the start it was Pata Honda’s Jonathan Rea
that took the holeshot, leading for the opening three laps before Sykes and
Marco Melandri (Aprilia Racing Team) overtook him into turn one at the start of
By half distance the constant swapping of
positions had allowed reigning champion Sykes to stretch his lead to 3 seconds,
before seconds later the white flag was waved to indicate that rain was
beginning to fall.
Behind the leader five riders that included
Loris Baz (Kawasaki Racing Team), Chaz Davies (Ducati Superbike Team), and
Sylvain Guintoli, Leon Haslam on the second of the Pata Honda’s slowly began to
close the gap, giving the fans a six rider group battling for the podium
Leon Haslam collided with Chaz Davies, both
riders able to remount with Davies later retiring. Haslam eventually finished
At the front Sylvain Guintoli (Aprilia Racing
Team) had elevated himself to 2nd and began to quickly reduce the
gap to Sykes before he responded to retain a lead of 2 seconds until the flag.
Guintoli made his return to the podium in 2nd
ahead of compatriot Baz, with Marco Melandri 4th.
Jonathan Rea faded to a lonely 5th
ahead of Alex Lowes (Voltcom Crescent Suzuki) who passed Ducati’s Davide
Giugliano and his team mate Eugene Laverty on the final lap to finish 6th.
Sylvain Barrier (BMW Motorrad Italia Superbike
Team) and David Salom (Kawasaki Racing Team) were never more than 0.1s apart
for the entire race with Salom, eventually coming out on top by 0.014s on the
line to claim the EVO honours.
Toni Elias (Red Devils Roma Aprilia) crashed out
after improving from his lowly grid position whilst Fabien Foret (Mahi Racing
Team India Kawasaki), Geoff May (Team Hero EBR), both Grillini Kawasaki riders
Bryan Staring and Sheridan Morais, Peter Sebestyen (Team Toth BMW) and Chaz
Davies all retired.
Results: 1. Sykes (Kawasaki)
20 Laps/91.840 km in 34'45.568 average 158.529 kph; 2. Guintoli (Aprilia)
2.539; 3. Baz (Kawasaki) 3.175; 4. Melandri (Aprilia) 4.042; 5. Rea (Honda)
7.791; 6. Lowes (Suzuki) 14.772; 7. Giugliano (Ducati) 14.877; 8. Laverty
(Suzuki) 14.941; 9. Salom (Kawasaki) 26.018; 10. Barrier (BMW) 26.032; 11.
Haslam (Honda) 33.041; 12. Guarnoni (Kawasaki) 38.385; 13. Canepa (Ducati)
42.237; 14. Russo (Kawasaki) 47.908; 15. Andreozzi (Kawasaki) 1'03.502; 16.
Yates (EBR) 1 Lap; 17. Rizmayer (BMW) 1 Lap;18. Davies (Ducati) 5 Laps; NC.
Staring (Kawasaki); RT. Sebestyen (BMW); RT. Morais (Kawasaki); RT. Elias
(Aprilia); RT. Foret (Kawasaki); RT. May (EBR); SH. Badovini (Bimota) 34.442;
SH. Iddon (Bimota) 38.246.