eni FIM Superbike World Championship
Phillip Island, Victoria, Australia
February 22, 2014
Race One Results (all on Pirelli tires):
1. Eugene LAVERTY, Ireland (Suzuki GSX-R1000), 22 laps, 33:39.440
2. Marco MELANDRI, Italy (Aprilia RSV4 Factory), -2.959 seconds
3. Sylvain GUINTOLI, France (Aprilia RSV4 Factory), -3.034
4. Davide GIUGLIANO, Italy (Ducati 1199 Panigale R), -6.972
5. Loris BAZ, France (Kawasaki ZX-10R), -11.132
6. Jonathan REA, UK (Honda CBR1000RR), -11.718
7. Tom SYKES, UK (Kawasaki ZX-10R), -15.612
8. Chaz DAVIES, UK (Ducati 1199 Panigale R), -25.724
9. David SALOM, Spain (Kawasaki ZX-10R), EVO, -37.407
10. Niccolo CANEPA, Italy (Ducati 1199 Panigale R), EVO, -37.468
11. Glenn ALLERTON, Australia (BMW S1000RR), EVO, -39.271
12. Fabien FORET, France (Kawasaki ZX-10R), EVO, -45.212
13. Claudio CORTI, Italy (MV Agusta F4 RR), -50.249
14. Jeremy GUARNONI, France (Kawasaki ZX-10R), EVO, -77.134
15. Sheridan MORAIS, South Africa (Kawasaki ZX-10R), EVO, -83.686, ran off track
16. Imre TOTH, Hungary (BMW S1000RR), -90.651
17. Aaron YATES, USA (EBR 1190 RX), -1 lap
18. Alessandro ANDREOZZI, Italy (Kawasaki ZX-10R), EVO, -8 laps, DNF, crash
19. Leon HASLAM, UK (Honda CBR1000RR), -18 laps, DNF, crash
20. Alex LOWES, UK (Suzuki GSX-R1000), -19 laps, DNF, crash
21. Toni ELIAS, Spain (Aprilia RSV4 Factory), -19 laps, DNF, crash
More, from a press release issued by Team Suzuki Press Office:
Eugene Laverty gave the Voltcom Crescent Suzuki team its first victory of the 2014 World Superbike season in the opening race at Phillip Island in Australia.
Laverty, who started from the second-row of the grid, fought-back from an almost five-second deficit to close-in on the leading group to take the lead on lap 17 of the 22-lap race and win by almost three seconds.
Team-mate Alex Lowes, who is suffering with an ankle injury incurred yesterday, was unlucky to crash early-on in the race after moving-up the field to eighth, but is hopeful of starting race two.
More, from a press release issued by WSBK Dorna Press Office:
Historic win for Eugene Laverty and Team Voltcom Crescent Suzuki
Phillip Island (Australia), Sunday 23 February 2014 – The eni FIM Superbike World Championship had its first exciting race of the year today at Phillip Island, with Irishman Eugene Laverty scoring a sensational win aboard his GSX-R 1000, making it three in a row with the double he scored at Jerez last year in the last round. In his debut race with Voltcom Crescent Suzuki, Laverty achieved an historical maiden win for the Voltcom Crescent Suzuki Team. Laverty is also the first Suzuki rider to climb on the top step of the podium since the second race at Kyalami in 2010.
After a poor start of the race, which saw him crossing the line in seventh place at the end of lap 1, and an early battle first with Chaz Davies (Ducati Superbike Team) and then with Jonathan Rea (Pata Honda World Superbike), Laverty started his charge to the leaders thanks to an incredible race pace. Once he reached the front runners, the Irishman passed Davide Giugliano (Ducati Superbike Team), Marco Melandri and leader Sylvain Guintoli (Aprilia Racing Team) to take first position on lap 17.
With Laverty pulling away in the late stages, Melandri got the better of team mate Sylvain Guintoli for second, whilst Giugliano settled for fourth after losing ground in the final laps. Loris Baz (Kawasaki Racing Team) edged Jonathan Rea (Pata Honda World Superbike) to take fifth place as reigning Champion and Baz's team mate Tom Sykes had a difficult time, eventually ending up seventh ahead of Chaz Davies.
EVO riders David Salom (Kawasaki Racing Team), Niccolò Canepa (Althea Racing Team) and substitute rider for injured Sylvain Barrier Glenn Allerton (BMW Motorrad Italia Superbike Team) put up an exciting battle, with Spaniard David Salom to come out on top to claim 9th.
Voltcom Crescent Suzuki's Alex Lowes, Leon Haslam (Pata Honda World Superbike Team) and Toni Elias (Red Devils Roma Aprilia) all crashed unhurt early on in the race.