eni FIM Superbike World Championship
May 11, 2014
Race One Results (all on Pirelli tires):
1. Jonathan REA, UK (Honda CBR1000RR), 19 laps, 34:14.829
2. Chaz DAVIES, UK (Ducati 1199 Panigale R), -4.511 seconds
3. Tom SYKES, UK (Kawasaki ZX-10R), -6.492
4. Loris BAZ, France (Kawasaki ZX-10R), -8.434
5. Sylvain GUINTOLI, France (Aprilia RSV4 Factory), -9.134
6. Marco MELANDRI, Italy (Aprilia RSV4 Factory), -14.925
7. Eugene LAVERTY, Ireland (Suzuki GSX-R1000), -19.973
8. Alex LOWES, UK (Suzuki GSX-R1000), -21.582
9. Toni ELIAS, Spain (Aprilia RSV4 Factory), -28.781
10. Leon HASLAM, UK (Honda CBR1000RR), -31.245
11. Leon CAMIER, UK (BMW S1000RR), EVO, -40.996
12. David SALOM, Spain (Kawasaki ZX-10R), EVO, -55.372
13. Luca SCASSA, Italy (Kawasaki ZX-10R), EVO, -55.899
14. Jeremy GUARNONI, France (Kawasaki ZX-10R), EVO, -64.402
15. Alessandro ANDREOZZI, Italy (Kawasaki ZX-10R), EVO, -83.074
16. Fabien FORET, France (Kawasaki ZX-10R), EVO, -83.324, ran off track
17. Sheridan MORAIS, South Africa (Kawasaki ZX-10R), EVO, -96.763
18. Claudio CORTI, Italy (MV Agusta F4 RR), -96.942, ran off track
19. Peter SEBESTYEN, Hungary (BMW S1000RR), EVO, -103.545
20. Imre TOTH, Hungary (BMW S1000RR), -103.819
21. Davide GIUGLIANO, Italy (Ducati 1199 Panigale R), -8 laps, DNF, crash
22. Michel FABRIZIO, Italy (Kawasaki ZX-10R), EVO, -11 laps, DNF, retired
23. Aaron YATES, USA (EBR 1190 RX), -12 laps, DNF, retired
24. Niccolo CANEPA, Italy (Ducati 1199 Panigale R), EVO, -14 laps, DNF, retired
25. Ivan GOI, Italy (Ducati 1199 Panigale R), EVO, -19 laps, DNF, crash
26. Geoff MAY, USA (EBR 1190 RX), -19 laps, DNS
Subjects to Homologation
Christian IDDON, UK (Bimota BB3), EVO, -55.174 seconds
Ayrton BADOVINI, Italy (Bimota BB3), EVO, -12 laps, DNF, retired
More, from a press release issued by Dorna WSBK Press Office:
Rea wins again after dominating race one in Imola
Imola (Italy), Sunday 11 May 2014 - The sun continued to shine at Imola as the first race of the day got underway in front of a large and enthusiastic crowd.
From the start it was Pole Position setter Jonathan Rea (Pata Honda World Superbike Team) who immediately took the lead ahead of the Aprilia Racing Team duo of Marco Melandri and Sylvain Guintoli. Chaz Davies (Ducati Racing Team) moved up to second at the end of lap one and as the laps progressed a number of riders in the leading group would run off track in their efforts to keep up with the flying British duo at the front.
By half distance Rea had moved clear of the chasing pack with a lead of almost two seconds. Behind the leader a four rider fight involving Davies, Tom Sykes (Kawasaki Racing Team), Sylvain Guintoli who had worked hard to bridge the gap after an off track excursion at the chicane on lap 2, Loris Baz (Kawasaki Racing Team) and Davide Giugliano (Ducati Superbike Team) became more intense with every corner.
Giugliano slid out of contention on the twelfth lap, the Italian clearly annoyed as the front end of his Ducati went away from him.
At the flag and after 19 exciting laps it was Rea who took back to back wins ahead of Davies and Sykes, who complete the race one podium. The Ulsterman now sits second in the standings, with only ten points to make up from the leader Tom Sykes.
In the EVO battle, Leon Camier (BMW Motorrad Italia) came out on top, finishing comfortably ahead of David Salom (Kawasaki Racing Team) and Luca Scassa (Team Pedercini Kawasaki). Ivan Goi (Barni Racing Team) and Niccolo Canepa (Althea Racing Ducati) crashed without injury.
Results: 1. Rea (Honda) 19 Laps/93.784 km in 34'14.829 average 164.307 kph; 2. Davies (Ducati) 4.511; 3. Sykes (Kawasaki) 6.492; 4. Baz (Kawasaki) 8.434; 5. Guintoli (Aprilia) 9.134; 6. Melandri (Aprilia) 14.925; 7. Laverty (Suzuki) 19.973; 8. Lowes (Suzuki) 21.582; 9. Elias (Aprilia) 28.781; 10. Haslam (Honda) 31.245; 11. Camier (BMW) 40.996; 12. Salom (Kawasaki) 55.372; 13. Scassa (Kawasaki) 55.899; 14. Guarnoni (Kawasaki) 1'04.402; 15. Andreozzi (Kawasaki) 1'23.074; 16. Foret (Kawasaki) 1'23.324; 17. Morais (Kawasaki) 1'36.763; 18. Corti (MV Agusta) 1'36.942; 19. Sebestyen (BMW) 1'43.545; 20. Toth (BMW) 1'43.819; RT. Giugliano (Ducati); RT. Fabrizio (Kawasaki); RT. Yates (EBR); RT. Canepa (Ducati); RT. Goi (Ducati); NS. May (EBR); SH. Iddon (Bimota) 55.174; SH. Badovini (Bimota).