May 4, 2002
© 2014, Roadracing World Publishing, Inc.
(This original, copyrighted material may not be copied, cut and pasted, published or otherwise reproduced in any way in any medium, which means, don’t post this on another website or BBS. If you want somebody else to see this, send, share or tweet a link or post a link to this page.)
Copyright 2002, Roadracing World Publishing, Inc.
Damon Buckmaster pitted for a qualifying tire and then took his Graves Motorsports Yamaha YZF-R7/R1 to the top of the time charts in the final moments of Formula Xtreme qualifying at Sears Point on Saturday afternoon. Buckmaster turned a 1:33.505 at an average speed of 97.021 mph.
Valvoline EMGO Suzuki's Marty Craggill was fastest for most of the session, running race tires with a fastest lap of 1:33.925, 96.587 mph. Cragill ended up third fastest on his GSX-R1000.
Right at the end of the session young gun Ben Spies also took on a qualifying tire and blitzed off a 1:33.905, 96.609 mph for second-fastest on his Attack Suzuki GSX-R1000.
Jake Zemke was fourth-fastest on a Bruce Transportation Group Honda CBR9545RR, also on a qualifying tire, at 1:34.345.
Katja Poensgen, who got a call Tuesday to ride for Corona Extra Suzuki as a replacement for injured Steve Rapp, flew in from Germany on Wednesday, missed Thursday practice and first rolled a wheel on the track on Friday. In Formula Xtreme qualifying, she crashed her GSX-R1000 after bottoming out a footpeg and lifting the rear wheel off the ground in Turn Three. She was 32nd fastest in the session.
1. Damon Buckmaster, Yamaha YZF-R7/R1, 1:33.505
2. Ben Spies, Suzuki GSX-R1000, 1:33.905
3. Marty Craggill, Suzuki GSX-R1000, 1:33.925
4. Jake Zemke, Honda CBR9545RR, 1:34.345
5. Mike Hale, Honda CBR9545RR, 1:34.390
6. Tom Kipp, Suzuki GSX-R1000, 1:34.873
7. Alex Gobert, Honda CBR954RR, 1:34.972
8. Jason Pridmore, Suzuki GSX-R1000, 1:35.040
9. Dave Stanton, Suzuki GSX-R1000, 1:36.340
10. Lance Isaacs, Yamaha YZF-R1, 1:37.851
11. Vincent Haskovec, Suzuki GSX-R750, 1:38.098
12. James Compton, Suzuki GSX-R1000, 1:38.559
13. Robert Mesa, Suzuki GSX-R1000, 1:38.570
14. Jason Curtis, Yamaha YZF-R1, 1:38.858
15. Clint McBain, Suzuki GSX-R1000, 1:38.873
16. Jeff Bostrom, Suzuki GSX-R750, 1:39.269
17. Cory Call, Suzuki GSX-R1000, 1:39.646
18. John Wilson, Suzuki GSX-R1000, 1:40.06
19. Bob Siebenhaar, Honda CBR929RR, 1:40.028
20. Kevin Pate, Suzuki GSX-R750, 1:40.030
32. Katja Poensgen, Suzuki GSX-R1000, 1:42.192