Mar 1, 2001
© 2017, Roadracing World Publishing, Inc.
From a press release
issued by AHRMA
The schedule for AHRMA Vintage activities in the Daytona area, provided courtesy AHRMA, follows:
THURSDAY, MARCH 1
• Road Race Practice, DeLand Municipal Airport. The DeLand circuit is 1.8 miles long, laid out on the runways and taxiways of a former naval air station (now a busy municipal airport). The event hearkens back to the days when many road races took place on aerodrome courses. Gates open 7:30 a.m. Practice begins at 9:00 a.m. The last activity of the day, scheduled to end at 4:30 p.m., will be a combined Historic Production/Novice race. Gate fee $10 per person.
FRIDAY, MARCH 2
• Progressive Suspension Historic Cup Road Race, DeLand. Round one of the 2001 Vintage/Sound of Singles/Battle of Twins/Sound of Thunder national series, along with International Classic GP. Gates open 7:00 a.m. Practice 8:00-10:00 a.m. Racing begins at 10:30, with an hour break at noon. Gate fee $10.
• Northwest Maico & CZ National Post-Vintage Motocross, Motocross of Marion County, Reddick (near Ocala). The first event in AHRMA's first-ever national series for machines from 1975 to the early 1980s. There will also be AHRMA Vintage support classes, plus an all-day swap meet. Practice at 9:00 a.m., racing at 10:00. Gate fee $10 per day or $25 for the weekend. Info: 352-591-2050, email@example.com, .
SATURDAY, MARCH 3
• Speed & Sport National Vintage MX, MX of Marion County, Reddick. Motocross of Marion County hosts the second round of the ‘01 national series on a truly vintage-friendly circuit. Practice at 8:00 a.m. and racing at 9:00. Gate fee $10 per day or $25 for the weekend. Info: 352-591-2050, firstname.lastname@example.org, .
SUNDAY, MARCH 4
• Road race Registration & Tech Inspection, American Motorcycle Institute, Daytona Beach, 8:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m. This is a mandatory stop for all competitors racing Monday or Tuesday at Daytona International Speedway, giving enthusiasts the opportunity to see hundreds of the vintage race machines from all over the world. An autograph session with AHRMA Daytona Grand Marshal Joe Leonard and other racing legends will take place in the afternoon. Open to the public, no charge.
• Speed & Sport National Vintage Trial, MX of Marion County, Reddick. AHRMA's triple- national weekend at Reddick ends with round two of the national trials series. The trial begins at 10 a.m. Gate fee $10 per day or $25 for the weekend. Info: 352-591-2050, email@example.com, .
• The Classic Motor Cycle Dirt Track National, Jackson Motorsports, Ocala. It will be short track racing under the lights for the series opener. Practice begins at 4:00 p.m., with racing at 6:00 p.m. Admission $10. Information: 352-867-0997.
MONDAY, MARCH 5
• Classics Days — Historic Cup Road Racing, Daytona International Speedway. Practice runs from 8:00-11:00 a.m. Then Joe Leonard and other legends will take part in the Great Men autograph session at 11 in the AHRMA information tent before racing begins at noon.
• AHRMA Concours d'Elegance by Motorsport, Daytona Speedway. Runs along with an AMA/Will Stoner Swap Meet next to the International Horseshoe.
TUESDAY, MARCH 6
• Classics Days — Historic Cup Road Racing, Daytona Speedway. Day two, featuring the International Classic Grand Prix in addition to the full slate of Vintage classes and modern Singles and Twins. Practice 8:00-11:00 a.m. Great Men, Great Machines parade laps of the speedway, 11:30 a.m. Racing at noon. The Will Stoner swap meet continues, and there's another concours in the swap meet area.
• The Classic Motor Cycle Dirt Track National, Orange County Raceway, Bithlo (just east of Orlando). This excellently prepared short track offered some great racing last year, so expect a big turnout for 2001. Practice begins at 4:00 p.m. and heat races at 6:00. Gate fee $10. Information: 407-568-1243.
FRIDAY, MARCH 9
• The Classic Motor Cycle Dirt Track National, Oglethorpe Speedway, Savannah, Ga. After a pair of short tracks, dirt trackers will be ready to tackle a real half-mile on their way home from Bike Week. The well-prepared Oglethorpe oval should be just the ticket. Practice 5:00 p.m., racing 7:00 p.m. Gate fee $15. Info: 912-964-8200, .
More information: 913-268-4400 or