Jun 7, 2013
© 2013, Roadracing World Publishing, Inc.
by David Swarts
(This original, copyrighted material may not be copied, cut and pasted, published or otherwise reproduced in any way in any medium, which means, don’t post this on another website or BBS. If you want somebody else to see this, send, share or tweet a link or post a link to this page.)
FIM Supersport World Championship: Sam Lowes (11) in action on his Yamaha YZF-R6.
FIM Supersport World Championship
June 7, 2013
Qualifying Session One Results (all on Pirelli tires):
1. Sam LOWES, UK (Yamaha YZF-R6), 1:45.724
2. Kenan SOFUOGLU, Turkey (Kawasaki ZX-6R), 1:46.246
3. Jack KENNEDY, Ireland (Honda CBR600RR), 1:46.344
4. David SALOM, Spain (Kawasaki ZX-6R), 1:46.718
5. Fabien FORET, France (Kawasaki ZX-6R), 1:46.949
6. Luca SCASSA, Italy (Kawasaki ZX-6R), 1:47.002
7. Sheridan MORAIS, South Africa (Honda CBR600RR), 1:47.019
8. Michael VD MARK, Netherlands (Honda CBR600RR), 1:47.115
9. Andrea ANTONELLI, Italy (Kawasaki ZX-6R), 1:47.153
10. Mathew SCHOLTZ, South Africa (Suzuki GSX-R600), 1:47.194
11. Kev COGHLAN, UK (Kawasaki ZX-6R), 1:47.290
12. Riccardo RUSSO, Italy (Kawasaki ZX-6R), 1:47.375
13. Lorenzo ZANETTI, Italy (Honda CBR600RR), 1:47.481
14. Gabor TALMACSI, Hungary (Honda CBR600RR), 1:47.597
15. Luca MARCONI, Italy (Honda CBR600RR), 1:47.633
16. Nacho CALERO PEREZ, Spain (Honda CBR600RR), 1:47.639
17. Raffaele DE ROSA, Italy (Honda CBR600RR), 1:47.704
18. Vladimir IVANOV, Russia (Kawasaki ZX-6R), 1:47.737
19. Vladimir LEONOV, Russia (Yamaha YZF-R6), 1:47.757
20. Massimo ROCCOLI, Italy (Yamaha YZF-R6), 1:48.045
More, from a press release issued by PTR Honda:
PTR HONDA'S Sheridan Morais is seventh on the provisional grid for the sixth round of the World Supersport Championship at Parkalgar in Portugal, showing good pace but promising a lot more to come.
Sheridan said: "We should be better than seventh but I never got a quick clean last lap as I was held up. My ideal times suggest I should be fourth and that is encouraging. I'll be going for a big improvement tomorrow in final qualifying."
Luca Marconi in 15th is a fraction ahead of his rookie team mate Nacho Calero in 16th. Luca is aiming to step up the pace in second qualifying while Nacho is enjoying his best qualifying position of the season showing a marked improvement in his riding on the opening day.
David Linortner is 22nd and not where the team expects him to be after his excellent pace at the previous round. Matt Davies in 30th is suffering the effects of a morning crash that then led to a technical issue on his repaired bike in the afternoon. He is expected to jump up the time sheets tomorrow in final qualifying. The race takes place on Sunday, 9th June at 1330CET.
Simon Buckmaster, PTR Honda Team Manager: "Sheridan is going quite well and seventh is encouraging. He is losing a chunk on the last sector. We have over laid data from last year and that will improve tomorrow.
"It was a good job by Luca but he needs to stop looking for a tow. He has the ability to do the lap time himself and build on that and go for the top 10.
"Nacho made a big step forward and we need to consolidate that and turn it into consistent place. David knows what he needs to do to improve and we are expecting a big jump tomorrow.
"Matt crashed in the morning and there were technical problems caused by that. We will put everything right for tomorrow and we expect a better second qualifying - especially as he is reporting better feel with his bike."