Digital Edition Subscribers: Read Roadracing World Magazine Now >
Roadracing - An Online Service of Roadracing World Magazine
Mar 5, 2002

Pat Mooney, Dave Rosno To Victory Lane At Daytona; Yvon Duhamel To Hospital

Copyright 2002, Roadracing World Publishing, Inc.

Pat Mooney was the star of AHRMA's first day of racing at Daytona with a controlled win in the 500 Premier race on his Dunlop-sponsored Manx Norton. Mooney was shadowed by Heyser Cycle-sponsored Josef Brenner on his BSA Gold Star. Brenner tried to draft ahead of Mooney at the line but came up short by a bikelength.

"I couldn't shake him," said Mooney, "and knew it would come down to the last lap. I knew I couldn't make any mistakes; I came through the chicane, got a strong drive out, and put my head down. I knew he was coming and could feel him back there."

"I was outsmarted," admitted Brenner. "I think he was laying off down the front straight, and I thought I could get him on the last lap. I didn't have the horsepower to lead out of the chicane. He came out strong, but I was on it, too."

Dave Roper, suffering from the effects of a crash at the WERA Vintage event at Roebling Road on Friday, was a distant third on the Team Obsolete Matchless G50.

Dave Rosno on the World Motorcycles Honda battled with Gary Nixon on the M3 Racing Honda in the early stages of the F750 race, but Rosno dropped a couple of seconds off his lap times and won with a comfortable 15-second lead. Gary Fisher returned to the racetrack for the first time in 26 years to finish third after a battle with Harley-Davidson rider Tim Joyce.

The race was marred by a turn-one accident at the start that sent Yvon Duhamel to Halifax Hospital with a concussion. A rider charged up the inside of the pack and made contact with Chris Marshall's Ducati 750SS. Marshall slid across the track and Duhamel launched the Team Obsolete BSA Triple off the sliding Ducati.

Editorial Note: According to Daytona spokesman Larry Lawrence, Duhamel was not transported to the hospital directly but went later to have a CT scan, and was prohibited from racing for a 24-hour period, or until 4:00 p.m. Tuesday. At post time, about 3:40 p.m. Tuesday, DuHamel's race was the next one scheduled to run and it was unknown if Duhamel would be able to race as scheduled.
Top 5 This Week