Nov 11, 2010
© 2014, Roadracing World Publishing, Inc.
(This original, copyrighted material may not be copied, cut and pasted, published or otherwise reproduced in any way in any medium, which means, don’t post this on another website or BBS. If you want somebody else to see this, send, share or tweet a link or post a link to this page.)
BMW BMP Elf 99 dominates free practice
The BMW's BMP Elf 99 Racing made a strong impression at the free practice session held this morning in Doha. The S 1000 RR 99 was the only bike to lap the Losail racetrack in 2'00.934, nearly two seconds faster than everyone else on the track. The BMP Elf 99 is not involved in the battle for the world title, but wants to take revenge after the Bol d'Or misfortune, where it was promised a podium place before it crashed and retired.
The Suzuki Endurance Racing Team did a best lap in 2'02.748, courtesy of its new rider, Sylvain Guintoli. The World Superbike rider was quick to find himself at home on the GSX-R 1000 and will definitely be a strong asset in the title chase. Currently sitting in second position of the Qtel FIM Endurance World Championship provisional standings, nine points behind the Kawasaki Bolliger Switzerland Team, SERT seems to be very close to the 2010 crown. Bolliger was the eighth fastest this morning, with a 2'04.862 lap, but will remain a strong contender for the 8 hours race.
The Yamaha France GMT 94 Ipone seems to be back in business. Third in the free practice, with a 2'02.863 lap just behind SERT, the GMT is now well accommodated to its new Michelin tyres and can finish the season with a great result. Another good thing for GMT is the arrival of Matthieu Lagrive, an experienced rider to support David Checa and Kenny Foray on the R1.
Yamaha Austria Racing Team took the fourth best lap, just ahead of the first Superstock machine, the Suzuki of the Qatar Endurance Racing Team 1, targeting once again the FIM Superstock World Cup. However, its main opponent, the BMW Andalucia, is not far behind, within less than a second. In third position in that class is the Suzuki Motor Events.
The Suzuki from Team 18 Sapeurs Pompiers, RT Motovirus and RAC 41 City Bike are also in the top 10.
The first qualification session is scheduled this afternoon at 14:30 (GMT +3).
To follow the practice and race live, log on to
FIM Endurance World Championship
Losail International Circuit
Free Practice One Results:
1. BMP ELF 99 RACING TEAM (GIMBERT Sebastien/NIGON Erwan/CUDLIN Damian), BMW S1000RR, EWC, 2:00.934
2. SERT (PHILIPPE Vincent/FORAY Freddy/GUINTOLI Sylvain), SUZUKI GSX-R1000, EWC, 2:02.748
3. YAMAHA FRANCE - GMT 94 - IPONE (CHECA David/FORAY Kenny/LAGRIVE Matthieu), YAMAHA YZF-R1, EWC, 2:02.863
4. YART (JERMAN Igor/MARTIN Steve/GIABBANI Gwen), YAMAHA YZF-R1, EWC, 2:03.415
5. QERT (DELHALLE Anthony/CUDLIN Alexander/LA NAIMI Mashal), SUZUKI GSX-R1000, STK, 2:04.218
6. TEAM 18 SAPEURS-POMPIERS (TANGRE Jerome/MOLINIER Stephane/BRIERE David), SUZUKI GSX-R1000, EWC, 2:04.446
7. RT MOTOVIRUS (BRIVET Cyril/de CAROLIS Lucas/JOND Frederic), SUZUKI GSX-R1000, EWC, 2:04.783
8. BOLLIGER TEAM SWITZERLAND (HORST Saiger/MUFF Patric/STAMM Roman), KAWASAKI ZX-10R, EWC, 2:04.862
9. ANDALUCIA BMW (MOLINA Alvano/BARRIER Sylvain/ROSIVALL Agoston), BMW S1000RR, STK, 2:05.060
10. RAC 41 - CITV BIKE (JUNOD Greg/BLACK Gregg/DEPOORTER Olivier), SUZUKI GSX-R1000, EWC, 2:05.451
11. BK MACO RACING (PRIDMORE Jason/RIBALTA Daniel), YAMAHA YZF-R1, EWC, 2:05.650